Looking For A Lex Mechanic In Souther Cali

silvermistLS

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lexus mechanic here in southern california (l.a. area) I need to get my car diagnosed for some rough idle when starting from cold in the morning. I've been told to look out for leaking head gasket, but I doubt it could be that. Just want to try to have someone look at it without getting ripped off. The dealership wants 125 per hour of diag. and I'm afraid they might charge 3 hours or more.

Thanks guys.

there are a lot, but rough idle is kinda normal in cold weather, especially if you live in hot climate (like, the deserts of socal) since the ECU isn't used to the cold air.

i'd check fuel filter/pump, then plugs/coils/ignitors/wires/caps/rotors/etc, and MAYBE the fuel injectors.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a lexus mechanic here in southern california (l.a. area) I need to get my car diagnosed for some rough idle when starting from cold in the morning. I've been told to look out for leaking head gasket, but I doubt it could be that. Just want to try to have someone look at it without getting ripped off. The dealership wants 125 per hour of diag. and I'm afraid they might charge 3 hours or more.

Thanks guys.

Get your cold start injector checked.

• 2 weeks later...
You can have the oil changed for $72.00 at the Lexus dealer. They will then check you whole car out for free. I've done this several times with new Lexus cars I've bought.

Hey Thanks for the tip!!! I actually took the car to the dealership with my own Synthetic oil and filter, and they charged me 57.00 for the oil change. The great thing was that yes they did find the cause of my 4 month old issue. MOTOR MOUNTS!!! The service adv. said that everything in the car was fine, but that the motor mounts where collapsed, and that this is what was giving me the slight vibration in the morning. They said they can get it done for 1200!!! YIKES!!! no thanks I said. I found a auto parts store that can get me all 3 mounts for 175.00 and I'll have to get my mech to do it.

Do you guys know if it's a complicated process having the motor mounts changed?

They also suggested I get the Intake cleaned for better fuel econ. I assume SeaFoam can take care of this??

Judging from the price of your parts, they don't sound like OEM. These three parts with a little discount from Lexus run about $250. I would stick with OEM. You should only have to do this repair once.

Don't expect to be welcomed with open arms at a shop when you bring your own parts. Making profit on parts is part of a shops income. Some shops won't install non-OEM parts because there is no parts warranty...at least an enforceable one.

I did these mounts myself and they are a chore but of course saved money since the labor was free. When I asked my indie what he would have charged me, I was astonished when he quoted around $250 (IIRC) but this was awhile ago.

I have used this indie since the early 70's. He has serviced my Mazdas, Toyotas, Mercury Villager and now occasionally my Lexus.

Give him a call and ask for a quote.

Haines Car Service

2233 W. Valley (off of Fremont from 10 FRWY)

Alhambra, CA

626-300-9269

Ask for Haines.