Serpentine Belt Squealing During Startup

lukyscc

Hi All,

I have 1994 LS400 with about 159k miles and she runns great. The only problem I have now is that Serpentine Belt make noise only during startup or when cold. I changed the belt tensioner and Idler pulleys. Still the same.

What else can cause this noise?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have 1994 LS400 with about 159k miles and she runns great. The only problem I have now is that Serpentine Belt make noise only during startup or when cold. I changed the belt tensioner and Idler pulleys. Still the same.

Thanks.

The belt itself. Replace the belt!

Then remove the belt and turn the various pulleys by hand - feel the alternator, water pump, and so on. A dry or failing roller bearing will make noise until it warms a bit, and that might be the problem. Also if the belt gets any antifreeze on it they will squeal. Clean it with lacquer thinner while it's off.

You can do as SRK has suggested. There is another and quicker method for finding the prob though. Get a spritzer bottle of water. Adjust it to stream instead of spray, then give each pulley a small squirt, one at a time. When the squealing stops, you've found your prob. The water allows the belt to temporarily slip on the pulley. When it dries up, the squealing will start up again.

wouldn't WD-40 or PBlaster be a good way to fix the problem. I know both are able to be used on electrical components so that would not be a issue and it should lube the part enuff to stop the squeek.
I don't think WD-40 or PBlaster would be enough to get into the bearings and really remove any corrosion.

wouldn't WD-40 or PBlaster be a good way to fix the problem. I know both are able to be used on electrical components so that would not be a issue and it should lube the part enuff to stop the squeek.

I would never use WD40 as a permanent lubricant. If there's a pulley squeaking or stiffening, it needs to be replaced.

I would never use WD40 as a permanent lubricant. If there's a pulley squeaking or stiffening, it needs to be replaced.

My 94 LS400 I bought a month ago, just broke the drive belt. Feeling the pulleys, I found that the fan clutch brackt pulley had froze up solid. Didn't have any warning either. Find out which pulley is squealing before you break down and have to wait for parts. (I am a new member and this is my first reply, hope I didn't pull a fopah of any sort)

My 94 LS400 I bought a month ago, just broke the drive belt. Feeling the pulleys, I found that the fan clutch brackt pulley had froze up solid. Didn't have any warning either. Find out which pulley is squealing before you break down and have to wait for parts. (I am a new member and this is my first reply, hope I didn't pull a fopah of any sort)

Welcome to the LOC. :cheers: Feel free to join in anytime.

jr;

Nicely done!

Welcome aboard!

Remember, when soliciting advice, it is also your responsibility to reply back as to whether the suggestion worked or not. Most everyone else follows threads here and it is very helpful to everyone when the loop is closed. There seem to be a lot of newbies here lately and by and large, it appears they bring a lot of knowledge with them. Congrats! :cheers:

The same happens with my 94 LS squeals for 30 seconds or so in cold weather then nothing for the rest of the day.

On mine it was the top idler to the right of the tensioner ( apparently a pig to replace due to the amount of stripping down) been like it 3 years now never got worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 94 ls 400 , wife said it was knocking , checked all the pulleys , after checking the belt, & the pulley was not harmonic. It looks to be the bearings on the bearing bracket(I thought it was the water pump!), my mech. said the part is around $100, but the labor is quite a bit, because you have to disassemble the same components as you would if you are changing the timing belt, so you might as well replace timing belt if it's old. I'll elaborate on the job & the price in a cpl days , thanks !

Hi All,

Thanks.

The belt is too loose. Also would highly recommend original equipment belt as some aftermarket belts dont sit in the grooves the same. You can test belt tightness by twisting it 90 degrees in the longest stretch, it should not make the 90 degrees bend, if it does it is too loose.