Legality Of Sc License Plate

redsully

So this story is less "out there," and more of an issue of legality.

As some of ya'll might have seen from previous posts, my '93 SC300 & '93 SC400 lack(ed) front license plates for, oh ten years.

As some of ya'll might also know (mainly Texans), our lovely state just passed a new law that says that not only do you have to have front plates, they must be CLEARY visible, with no borders, lenses, etc.... so I ask you: is this cleary visible? I attached the plate to the screws that hold the bottom skirt to the front bumper and hope that the airflow isn't critically hindered.

I hate Texas laws!

What you're seeing here (since the reflectiveness of this LOVELY plate washed out the rest of the picture). This plate is attached ("free hanging") to the front bumber, where the air-guiding black plastic meets the bumper. Should I just break the law?

Oh, believe me, I hate that stupid law also. We have that :censored: here in Maryland, and the same law exists in New York, NJ, North Carolina, S Carolina and others, and it's killing me. A month ago, I got a ticket because I wasn't displaying my front Tag. I'm going to court in March to challenge the charge. My front tag holder was scraped off by another car.

This is how I see it--after talking to a couple of New York Lawyers. The law states the "Display of the tag is needed".

So right now I have my front tag displayed in the front Windshield.

You could also try moving the tag holder to the extreme left or right like the older Pontiac Grand Prix's used to have them, or like:

300.jpg

Perhaps you could do this, to better your dislike. Oh I wish we had Euro style plates.

you gotta LOVE Texas and its stupid freakin traffic laws. I got pulled over, cop was nice enough to just let me go with a warning.there is no way around it, you need front and back tags, nothing covering ANY part of the tag, you cant have the tags behind glass either. you cant even put a euro/jap plate up front because then it dosent represent the state or some BS like that.

The worst thing about having your plate inside the cabin is if you are in an accident it could become a projectile and sever your head or another body part.

I perfer the over heating engine if applicable. Ontario also has a front plate law. I used to carry it in the trunk for about4 years as it got knocked off once . I also had a scrape on the bumper , so i would tell a cop it got knocked off ,what do you want me to do hold it on with bubble gum?

Feel free to use my defense in court .It makes perfect sense.

The worst thing about having your plate inside the cabin  is if you are in an accident it could become a projectile and sever your head or another body part.

I perfer the over heating engine if applicable. Ontario also has a front plate law. I used to carry it in the trunk for about4 years as it got knocked off once . I also had a scrape on the bumper , so i would tell a cop it got knocked off ,what do you want me to do hold it on with bubble gum?

Feel free to use my defense in court .It makes perfect sense.

Way ahead of yu. Hopefully it won't backfire. We have the same type of rule in Maryland. Our laws over here states, you're front windshield shouldn't have anything that blocks the glass, including stickers(state issued as well).

Somebody over here, actually folded his plate so that it would fit his bumper. It looks kind of interesting, and it fits the display law, and I don't think he was pulled over since then.

Somebody over here, actually folded his plate so that it would fit his bumper. It looks kind of interesting, and it fits the display law, and I don't think he was pulled over since then.

my plate is folded with the state name not showing. looks a lot better on the SC's, and i'm in cali where we also have those laws.

and yes, i have never been pulled over for that, yet

my plate is folded with the state name not showing. looks a lot better on the SC's, and i'm in cali where we also have those laws.

and yes, i have never been pulled over for that, yet

BlackSC4.

Would you mind posting a pic so that some of us can see what it looks like?

Here in Wisconsin we have the same laws, and I've gone round and round with the police and still haven't gotten a ticket yet. *knock on wood* The last cop that told me I needed my front plate, I told him the car didn't come with a plate holder, and they were outrageous from Lexus, when he went and bought me one, I would put the plate on. He didn't say anything else after that. So I think I'm lucky in that aspect.

yeah, i can post it, but it may be a while since i dont have a digicam. i'll try and get my friend to take it for me...il have it up in a few days.

thanks man

We have the front license plate law in Hawaii too but none of my vehicles have front license plates. I've been driving that way for years but I've never been stopped. About a year ago Hawaii introduced "Van Cams" ... minivans parked on the side of the road taking photos of the front of speeding vehicles. The registered owner would receive a photo showing the license plate and the speed at the time and would have to pay a fine regardless of who was driving. The result of this was that numerous front license plates were being stolen and attached to other vehicles. Ultimately the hundreds of law suites filed against the state resulted in the termination of the "Van Cams" and a huge stink at the State Capitol since a ton of money had been invested. As for me, if I'm stopped I'll just say that someone stole my front license plate ... although I like the "excuse" suggested by skperformance.

:)

We have the same type of rule in Maryland. Our laws over here states, you're front windshield shouldn't have anything that blocks the glass, including stickers(state issued as well).

Although I am aware of the fact that the license plate cannot be inside the vehicle, I didn't feel like ruining my front bumper.

I had it posted against the windshield for a while until some :censored: cop told me it was obstructing my view.

I then fabbed it to my passenger sun visor and now I just flip it down when I see oncoming bacon.

Haven't been stopped since.

(California)

We have the same type of rule in Maryland.  Our laws over here states, you're front windshield shouldn't have anything that blocks the glass, including stickers(state issued as well).

Although I am aware of the fact that the license plate cannot be inside the vehicle, I didn't feel like ruining my front bumper.

I had it posted against the windshield for a while until some :censored: cop told me it was obstructing my view.

I then fabbed it to my passenger sun visor and now I just flip it down when I see oncoming bacon.

Haven't been stopped since.

(California)

:lol: I like that. :cheers: I hope you don't get a ticket.

Don't you have to file a report with the local or state cops about a stolen plate? Since it's state property.

I'm not sure ... but at the very least I would have to go to the DMV to get new license plates since there's no way that they'd have a new front plate made to match the back. Is it the Corvette that has a revolving front license plate that magically appears when the ignition is turned on? I think that's cool since it'd be easy to add a button to manually control the rotation.

:)

That "feature" is only for the front license plate. I know that Corvettes in the mid '90's had a revolving front license plate but I'm not sure about newer vettes.

I wouldn't trade my '95 SC400 for a '95 vette either!! :lol: That said, I'd buy a Z06 in a heartbeat if the interior wasn't a total POS!!