Tail Light Bulb Change

racwld1

Is it not coming out because it's corroded? If you're having that much trouble, I'm sure an independent mechanic in the area or someone at an auto parts store would do it for little or no charge, especially if you bought a replacement bulb from them.

Is it not coming out because it's corroded? If you're having that much trouble, I'm sure an independent mechanic in the area or someone at an auto parts store would do it for little or no charge, especially if you bought a replacement bulb from them.

I have the "Tail Lamp Failure" warning message on my panel for some time and just can't find which Tail light the message is refering too. All the lights look OK to me. Any insight, anyone?

I have the "Tail Lamp Failure" warning message on my panel for some time and just can't find which Tail light the message is refering too. All the lights look OK to me. Any insight, anyone?

It might be the lights in the back window.

That's what I thought when it first started. The light comes on beautifully when I step on brake. I am not sure how Lexus senses the failure. I can only deal with the bulb replacement myself. The sensor electronic is beyond me at this point.

racwld1, I don't think I understand. Are you unable to remove the bulb socket from the lens housing or are you unable to remove the bulb from the socket after you remove the socket from the lens housing.

The warning light on the dash can be caused by something as simple as a broken bulb filament that can still make enough contact to light the bulb. It can also be caused by a bad ground wire, a bad socket, or the bulb failure sensor but it is more likely a problem with a bulb.

What's with the "1993 LS430" in your car model? I don't think they made the LS430 in 1993. ;)

racwld1, I don't think I understand. Are you unable to remove the bulb socket from the lens housing or are you unable to remove the bulb from the socket after you remove the socket from the lens housing.

The warning light on the dash can be caused by something as simple as a broken bulb filament that can still make enough contact to light the bulb. It can also be caused by a bad ground wire, a bad socket, or the bulb failure sensor but it is more likely a problem with a bulb.

What's with the "1993 LS430" in your car model? I don't think they made the LS430 in 1993. ;)

it is a 2003 i changed the bulb but no luck must have a short somewhere, any ideas before i take it to the dealer would be appreciated, thanks.

It was the bulb at the back window. There are two of them and one is burned and the other was giving me the false "no problem here" sign. I changed both. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

I've got a 2001 LS430 and I'm trying to replace the rear tail light (the third / top brake light on the back deck) and I can't figure out how to get to it! I looked in the trunk under the blub but all I see is rivited panels. I also tried to remove the plastic cover from inside the car, but it doesn't seem to budge. There don't appear to be any screws or screw covers from inside the cabin of the car.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a 2001 LS430 and I'm trying to replace the rear tail light (the third / top brake light on the back deck) and I can't figure out how to get to it! I looked in the trunk under the blub but all I see is rivited panels. I also tried to remove the plastic cover from inside the car, but it doesn't seem to budge. There don't appear to be any screws or screw covers from inside the cabin of the car.

I have the same question on my 97 lexus. Did you get a response?

On all LS400s the rear speaker grille/light housing snaps off, from the front edge. It slides in at the rear, so unsnap and lift up like you're opening a hinged lid.

For the LS430s I don't recall, but it should be similar if not the same. You may need to pry the cover slightly to get a grip under it.