Cleaning The Volume Air Flow Meter

My 1995 GS300 has been running rough when it is cold.

While going through a list of things to check, I cleaned the Volume Air Flow Meter ( Fuji part number 22204-42011) with CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner. Even though the cleaner says it is safe for all sensors, connectors and plastics, it ruined my volume air flow meter.

I don't know why this happened (feel free to enlighten me). I'm making this post simply to warn others. The car would not even run after I used the cleaner. Luckily, I was able to find a replacement part at the junk yard and avoid spending big dollars to get back to where I started...

I believe it's dangerous to use any chemical cleaner on mass air flow sensors. There is usually a "heated" wire and/or circuit board in there and I believe the damage probably happened to the circuit board component(s). Even though it says safe, that may not mean it's safe for a direct hit from the stuff.

While going through a list of things to check, I cleaned the Volume Air Flow Meter ( Fuji part number 22204-42011) with CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner. Even though the cleaner says it is safe for all sensors, connectors and plastics, it ruined my volume air flow meter.

I don't know why this happened (feel free to enlighten me). I'm making this post simply to warn others. The car would not even run after I used the cleaner. Luckily, I was able to find a replacement part at the junk yard and avoid spending big dollars to get back to where I started...

It is a very fragile wire, and you can't spray direct pressure from the can on to the wire. This would destroy it for sure. You need little bursts of cleaner sprayed from a distance and over some time to let dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you start with the MAF? It rarely needs cleaning unless you've never changed out the air filter.