Changing Spark Plugs In 2000 Rx300

John46

How do I change the 2 rear plugs? Is this a major operation?

Thanks

John

jeby46@comcast.net

IMHO Yes, and if you have large hands YES. You'll need (want) socket extensions and an articulated u-joint to make it work.

Thanks for the advice.

I just wanted to tell you that I just removed the intake system for other problem, and If I were to do the plugs again I would remove the throttle body from the intake to change the plugs, It would make it so much easier, and only requires three bolts to do it. Probably 15minutes of extra work, but will save you hours of frustration....plus then you will actually be able to see what you are doing. there is a 12mm or 10mm bolt on the back side of it that attaches to a support rod next to the firewall, but trust me it will give you much better access.

I just wanted to tell you that I just removed the intake system for other problem, and If I were to do the plugs again I would remove the throttle body from the intake to change the plugs, It would make it so much easier, and only requires three bolts to do it. Probably 15minutes of extra work, but will save you hours of frustration....plus then you will actually be able to see what you are doing. there is a 12mm or 10mm bolt on the back side of it that attaches to a support rod next to the firewall, but trust me it will give you much better access.

Good advice Lenore. I removed the throttle body also and it is still a challenge (you can't much see what you're doing, mostly feel), but I'd rather work by feel than by mirror. Drives me nuts to work by reverse image.

Good advice Lenore. I removed the throttle body also and it is still a challenge (you can't much see what you're doing, mostly feel), but I'd rather work by feel than by mirror. Drives me nuts to work by reverse image.

If you haven't already got them in... be very careful not to cross-thread them. :o

Best way to put a plug in an aluminum head down a deep hole is to use a piece of vacuum hose about a foot long (helps keep from dropping it) , lube the plug threads lightly with anti-seize and thread it in by hand til you KNOW that it is down a few threads. Very true- you don't want to cross thread em and it's easy to do in aluminum if the threads are kinda dirty from being in for 100k mi.