Warning Lights

harleygrl

on the instrument panel a red circle with 2 broken lines on each side came on while driving and I dont have owners manual of do I have an idea of what it refers to.

According to my owner's manual, I believe it means that your brake pads are low and will need replacing soon.

I'm new to Lexus, but I did register on www.lexus.com in the owner's site as an owner. There, if you navigate around, you will find a link to order a FREE replacement owner's manual. Mine came in just 5 or so days just this week!!!!

on the instrument panel a red circle with 2 broken lines on each side came on while driving and I dont have owners manual of do I have an idea of what it refers to.

According to my owner's manual, I believe it means that your brake pads are low and will need replacing soon.

I'm new to Lexus, but I did register on www.lexus.com in the owner's site as an owner. There, if you navigate around, you will find a link to order a FREE replacement owner's manual. Mine came in just 5 or so days just this week!!!!

its a 93 LS400 however they are probably all the same. thank you

Yup--

"Brake Pad Wear Limit Warning Light

This light warns that the brake pads are worn to the extent that replacement is required. If it comes on while you are driving, have the brake pads checked and replaced by your Lexus dealer as soon as possible."

amcdonal86's right. I believe you have a wear indicator on all four pads, and they're wear parts - once the light comes on you have to replace whatever wear indicator was worn, in addition to the brake pads. On the '95 and up they just have two wear indicators; one front and one rear, both on the passenger side. Pre-'95 has one on each pad, I think.

Yeah and unfortunately, the 1990-92s do not have this feature.

I'd say the opposite. Those things aren't cheap. Instead of relying on the sensors, just keep an eye on how much you have left on your pads and there's no probs. Hella cheaper!

Here is at least one instance where the Mercedes system is far simpler and far cheaper. Brake sensors for my 1991 300CE and 2000 C280 are $1.45 each. They are as simple and fooproof as can be. Just a plastic coated wire that wears thru and is shorted when touched by the brake rotor.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

• 2 months later...
Here is at least one instance where the Mercedes system is far simpler and far cheaper. Brake sensors for my 1991 300CE and 2000 C280 are $1.45 each. They are as simple and fooproof as can be. Just a plastic coated wire that wears thru and is shorted when touched by the brake rotor.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

That's probably a first.......AND LAST! lol :lol:

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

That's probably a first.......AND LAST! lol :lol:

I believe sway bar links are also much cheaper on the Mercedes (by a factor of 10).

• 3 months later...

I had the same warning "a red circle with 2 broken lines on each side came on while driving", I suspected that brake pads are low because it had been 4-5 years since that last replace.

I lost my owner's manual, thanks to the post above I had been able to order a FREE replacement owner's manual from Lexus.com.

Great site !!!

If you don't care about the warning feature and are pretty diligent about checking brake pad wear then just eliminate the sensor. It’s just a small wire-loop embedded in plastic that once worn through creates an open circuit. To eliminate it just take the existing sensor cable assembly and strip it back near the connector, strip the wires, solder together and some tape/shrink tube (or water tight silicone boot) and your done. The indicator will see the short circuit it is looking for and you saved $60 on a sensor. I think in the 19xx's people got along just fine without brake wear sensors. To me it’s just unnecessary techno clutter and another thing to repair.