Future Navigation Updates

Pierpark

I have voiced my displeasure to my dealer and to Lexus about the disablement of the override function. Lexus is the only luxury car dealer to have this "feature" and quite frankly it would be a deal breaker for me purchasing another Lexus. We have had several instances where my husband or I have been a passenger and we needed to override the system for various reasons...one of them being that I 95 was closed coming into VA and all detoured routes via the nav kept taking us back onto I 95 South. We ended up in a very unsafe area where we had to stop and park in order to manually find a detour. Also, when using the emergency dealer feature, you are unable to select the info button so you cannot dial the dealer...again very unsafe.

It appears that if Lexus has the capability to turn the airbag on and off via weight controls on the passenger seat, they should be able to figure out something if they are so concerned about the driver operating the nav, it can be overridden by weight in the passenger seat.

Personally, I think they should add a disclaimer to the lawyer screen and allow full access just like the Germans do. Allowing full access is a standard operating procedure in the auto industry. Heck, if I did not opt for the built in navigation and used a Garmin I would be able to have full function…I would not have to pull over to use the thing while I was a passenger.

If anyone has heard anything on adding an override or allowing full access, please share!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know Quanius, our society is SO litigious these days, I can see Lexus' point here. Lexus stands to be sued not only by their own drivers, but by people involved in an accident with a Lexus.

While some people do take driving seriously, too many are reading, texting, watching movies...basically doing anything BUT driving.

Lexus is the only one doing this to my knowledge. Let them create whatever disclaimer they want whether it means you sign something at the dealer or click an agree everytime you start up your car. There is no defending this decision when you look across the consumer landscape. There's even a site now dedicated to confronting Lexus on this http://www.lexusoverride.com/

I just don't appreciate a car company dictating what my capabilities are while I drive. Some have listed scenarios where it is actually more dangerous forcing people to pull over on the highway with a capable passenger in the seat.

Why not automatically limit speed based on GPS location and how that matches up to the current highway's posted limit? There's no limit to this if you start siding with the lawyers.

I simply point out that people will sue, and I have to suspect that it has happened in the past to have Lexus so hard-line about it. The automotive industry has plenty of examples of mandated and self-imposed safety features that limit their liability and your ability to "do as you want". Automatic seat belts, warning chimes, governed maximum speed...all of these and more have been mandated at one time or another.

Take a look at a ladder the next time you are at Home Depot...the warning stickers cover every square inch of the product. A product with $20 of fiberglass and aluminum has to be sold for $200 because of the idiot-factor of people misusing the product and suing the manufacturer.

Your argument is valid, but don't cheapen it with a overstatement of fact. No one is "forced" to pull off the highway in a dangerous place. In fact, as a driver you are charged with being safe. Made-up scenarios don't help the debate, and if you read that particular thread that you cite further, that poster was skewered for making the false assumption that they will be "forced" to pull over. When you have to stoop to the invalid argument, the battle is lost. Best to stay with the "I am an adult with good judgment" position.

I have a viable bypass on my navigation system with a hybrid disc, so my fervor isn't as great as yours. There are solutions and options available to you.

Oh, and welcome to the Internet: the presence of an internet site does not lend credence to anything. In fact, there is also a site dedicated to re-establishing slavery. As I said, an internet site dedicated to a cause is meaningless.

The Nav lock out is the same reason why the GX dont have HID light. Lexus knows what is good for you, they want to set some kind of example. Its a good thing no one else is following in their foot step.

The Nav lock out is the same reason why the GX dont have HID light. Lexus knows what is good for you, they want to set some kind of example. Its a good thing no one else is following in their foot step.

Exactly...they are being good global citizens and protecting others from our desire to see the road and get where we are going.

I am surprised that they have not received an award for their global leadership.

:D

Sat in a 2010 RX today, and the nav worked on a joystick (a la "BMW I Drive"!); looked like and I was assured that it could be changed WHILE THE CAR WAS MOVING! WoW! Downside is that it was no longer touch screen (but very far recessed into the dash so touch would be problematic)... Other neat features - backup camera AND parking assist; heads-up instrument and nav display on the windscreen; ability to change any factory parameters (again, a la BMW) by the driver...lots of other changes