Iphone Integration

VAIS products fit some Lexus vehicles beginning with the 2001 model year -- nothing earlier. When VAIS first went into business several years ago, they said on their website that they would have products for some 98-00 Lexus vehicles but they apparently decided not to -- probably not enough demand.

The other interface products I've seen advertised for the 98-00 GS seem to have been withdrawn.

Some people hack into the cable going to the CD to add a jack for an MP3 player -- Puredrifter over on Clublexus has an extensive thread on doing this. Some people do the CD hack method with a switch so that they can continue to play CDs -- there is a video demo of this on an LS400 on Youtube.

I saw another thread where someone hardwired an RCA cable directly into the cassette player electronics -- don't remember which forum it was on.

The slickest setup I've seen was on a 98-00 LS400 where the owner had an audio shop install a custom interface that used a three position switch that I recognized as being from Soundgate -- used the exact same Soundgate switch we have in our Camry. The switch toggled between CD, Aux 1, and Aux 2 and was different from most of the other CD hacks in that it did not require playing a blank CD while listening to an MP3 player. I don't know what shop did the install but I ran into the guy in a Lenexa, Kansas Costco parking lot a couple of years ago when I parked beside his car -- I suspect the shop is here in the Kansas City metro area.

I like keeping things OEM but, since radio repair shops can no longer get parts to repair Nakamichi radios, I'll be replacing my Nakamichi with an aftermarket system with MP3 if my Nak dies again like it did last year. I'm starting to think that an aftermarket audio system is the best way to go.

The best way would be to go to Vais Tech . I got an XM modulator for my wife's RX and she loves it. Also it plugs in as they provide the wiring harness and so you have an OEM look as well. :D

im using this that i bought off club lexus....its actually tied into what im using for some other stuff...its not the only unit im using but it was my starting point on the audio and it worked on my ipod/iphone....i just had a plug installed and wired into the center console and ran the wiring under there and up into the center console

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/club-lexus...-interface.html

im # 10 on the list....couldnt pass this up and when it got to 135 i was stoked

im using this that i bought off club lexus....its actually tied into what im using for some other stuff...its not the only unit im using but it was my starting point on the audio and it worked on my ipod/iphone....i just had a plug installed and wired into the center console and ran the wiring under there and up into the center console

That's nice but Al has a standard Pioneer system and the Navtools including the one you bought are listed as being for navigation systems. Am I missing something?

That's nice but Al has a standard Pioneer system and the Navtools including the one you bought are listed as being for navigation systems. Am I missing something?

That's right ! I have the stock Pioneer radio with NO navigation... I'm basically looking for something that will allow me to listen to my music on a hard wired line (I hear FM modulaters kinda suck). I do NOT really need full integration as I would most likely control my music directly from the iPhone as it's the easiest way to navigate/scroll through my audio files. Is there something out there that would enable me to hook up directly to my head unit and provide an RCA in ? Perhaps I can disconnect my CD changer and plug/hack in through that port ?

Thank you for any input,

Al

no sir.....i missed that. i think my brain was out for a cigarette or something at the time i read that! i didnt even notice him saying he had the pioneer.....oops

:blush:

no sir.....i missed that. i think my brain was out for a cigarette or something at the time i read that! i didnt even notice him saying he had the pioneer.....oops

:blush:

Is there something out there that would enable me to hook up directly to my head unit and provide an RCA input ? Perhaps I can disconnect my CD changer and plug/hack in through that port ? What are my options ?

Is there something out there that would enable me to hook up directly to my head unit and provide an RCA input ? Perhaps I can disconnect my CD changer and plug/hack in through that port ? What are my options ?

I'm certainly not an expert in this but I have been following this issue closely on a number of forums and manufacturers websites.

You probably already know the options:

1) Cassette adapter

2) FM modulator

3) CD cable hack - see Puredrifter's thread on Clublexus

4) Aftermarket radio with RCA or iPod input. The non-nav gen 2 GS seems to be the Lexus that most frequently gets an aftermarket radio/nav/etc. unit - the possibilities are endless. Look around on the forums and you will see lots of photos of gen 2 GS cars with nice aftermarket systems.

You'd think some company would have come out with an interface product for older Lexus cars, wouldn't you? Those companies that tried seem to have given up pretty quickly. The closed architecture of the pre-2001 Lexus audio systems apparently made it too difficult and the profit potential just wasn't there by the time MP3 players got truly mainstream.

If you come up with something great, please let us know!

I am looking into doing the same thing, from my research I found the following websites:

1. http://www.crutchfield.com/m_770/iPod-MP3-...ters.html?tp=15

2. http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?request...adfc55dfedf543a

You will not need to splice any wires with this product.

When I was heavy into car stereos I used sound gate equipment. they made an excellent product.

Hope this helps:)

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking into doing the same thing, from my research I found the following websites:

When I was heavy into car stereos I used sound gate equipment. they made an excellent product.

Looked it over and it seems that nothing is available as of yet. Does anyone out there have a plug and play solution ? This is becoming frustrating !!!

Looked it over and it seems that nothing is available as of yet. Does anyone out there have a plug and play solution ? This is becoming frustrating !!!

No, and it is becoming less and less likely that anyone will introduce a "plug and play" aux-in solution for older Lexus cars as they continue to age, get crashed/trashed/worn out and hit the junk yard, and the market and potential profit for such devices shrinks.

• 2 months later...

Wondering if anyone out there came up with a solution ?