Hid Fog Lights, '05 Ls 430

Kevin W.

I just bought my first Lexus, a 2005 LS 430 in Cypress Pearl. I LOVE this car. I commute on some hairy roads here in Northern California and would like to put some pale yellow HIDs in the fog lights. My question is, can you access that area to mount the ballasts without taking the bumper off? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your input.

I have not done what you want to do but, based on a number of threads I've read on the forums, some people report that they partially remove the liners in the wheel wells to access the area behind the fog lights and that they attach the ballasts to something behind the bumper with cable ties or double sided tape.

I've had fog lights, either factory or added by myself, on almost every car I've owned since the 1960s. I have to say that the fog lights on my 2000 LS400 are the poorest fog lights I have ever had on any car. Most fog lights spread an even, concentrated beam of light but the fog lights on my 00 LS mainly light up small areas on both sides of the car. Even the fog lights on my 90 LS were far better.

I don't do many lighting mods any more but I've been thinking about installing a 3000K (yellow) or 4300K (white) HID kit on my fog lights since they are currently just about useless. HID kits have gotten dirt cheap -- I was reading today on another forum about someone buying a 9006 HID kit for his LS430 fog lights on eBay for about $70 and he said that he was pleased with the results.