95 Es300 - Vibration After Tire Balancing

ajay95

Hey Guys - I have 95 ES300 with 149K miles. The runs well with no issues until last week. I had the tires rotated and balanced, which I do every 5K.

The car started to shack and vibrate at speeds above 65. I took the car back to shop and they re-balaced the wheels. The problem still exists.

all in all - i had the tires balanced 4 times within a week but the problem is still here.

I took the car to 3 different COSTCO to insure that the tire tech didn't mess up. I had them check the tires, which still have 8/32" of thread left and the tech told me that nothing is wrong with the tires.

At this point I am guess the problem is something other than balancing.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You should get your brake pads and rotors changed. I had a friend who had this problem and after getting the pads and rotors changed the problem didn't exist anymore. It could also be your tie rod ends. I would suggest to get these checked out from a certified mechanic.

I believe the Dealer has rotated the tires and rebalanced them as part of the 5K services on my wife's IS250.

I don't think a 5K rotate and rebalance is "overkill".... especially in view of the fact that tread life on these cars has been a topic of lengthy discussions.

After I had Discount Tires install a new set of Conti Extreme Contacts on her car, I declined to have the dealer touch the tires at the following 40K service.

I'm curious what they charge for that?

On an ES I think it's overkill.....unless they are doing it for free.

I was by my dealership on my way into work this morning & was shooting the breeze with my service manager (over 30 years experience with high end vehicles, including BMW & Audi)....casually asked him if he would recommend that every tire rotation I have done....his response....."Oh good heavens no" not unless your curb hopping or driving into crater size potholes regularly.

Perhaps the IS is different in that regard....but to each their own I guess.

You should get your brake pads and rotors changed. I had a friend who had this problem and after getting the pads and rotors changed the problem didn't exist anymore. It could also be your tie rod ends. I would suggest to get these checked out from a certified mechanic.

Although anything possible I guess, I don't see how rotors and brake pads have anything to do with induces a vibration after a tire balance. :huh:

Its true tire balancing has nothing to do with the vibration but the symptoms you are describing lead to believe that it could possibly be pads, rotors, or rods. When going at high speeds and then braking, the car sometimes shakes due to unleveled rotors and pads. But I think your rods need to be checked. Does your car start to shake when you apply the brake or does it shake without applying brake over 65mph?

• 1 month later...

It shakes regardless of braking. Do you guys think it could be the ball joint or the tie rod? Is that expensive, any idea as to how much it maybe. The car is a 95 and has 150K miles. Is it even worth fixing? Any advise is appreciated

So I took it to a local car repair shop. They said my calipers were not letting go of the brake pads and the rotor was warped. He replaced for rotors, pads, defective Caliper and brake hose line.

I took the car upto 80 MPH and no vibration, looks like the problem got fixed. He charged $333.50 for all including tax. Hope that is a fair price.