Freeze - Non Functional Door Handle - Rattle Mystery

mrbutz1

Hello Friends,

Been awhile since I've visited. I guess that means the car's been working pretty well which is good. Nice to see old names still here on the boards.

Mystery:

About three weeks ago during a cold snap I went to open the passenger door (from the outside) and though unlocked the handle did not open the door, it just went up and down as you tried, no tension evident, nothing.

At same time a VERY annoying and loud rattle from the passenger door emerged, only quieted when I would put the window down 1/4" or more...not really feasible in Chicago during the winter.

Anyone ever had this happen? I am assuming something just came loose in there, requiring me to remove the interior door panel and take a look. But before I do that I wanted to ask y'alls' opinions.

Someone tell me the magic word to fix this so I don't have to sit in the frigid misery and take the car apart!

Happy new year.

Working outside in freezing weather is no fun.

My '93 did nearly the same thing. The cold weather had made the platic tab that joins the metal rod to the door handle brittle, and the plastic tab broke.

With the tab broke, the metal rod banged around and rattled a bunch.

Maybe when you lower your window that is solving the rattle cause it is holding the rod from moving aroudn so much, 1/4 the way down is about the right height for that.

I'd say take the inner door panel off, remove the plastic weather shield, remove the metal shield (3 screws), and then look around with a flashlight. The tab that connects to the outside handle is fairly easy to see, and then you'll see the tab too.

Tabs were about $5 each at the dealer, but got a multi-pack at Checkers for much less.

I did that in CO a few weeks ago, it was bout 10 degrees outside. I feel your pain.

You need a friend with a warm garage!

Motoroil speaks truth, those lil plastic clippy things aren't that stout to begin with and the global warming up in Chicago aint helping things.

If it were me, I would let my Lexus rattle like a Jeep until spring comes :)

You need a friend with a warm garage!

Motoroil speaks truth, those lil plastic clippy things aren't that stout to begin with and the global warming up in Chicago aint helping things.

If it were me, I would let my Lexus rattle like a Jeep until spring comes :)

Good advice from both of you! Thanks much. Me thinks the rattle will indeed continue into the warmer months. I know taking the door off will take me hours and I'll end up getting so cold and *BLEEP*edoff that I make things worse.

Again, thank ye!