Car Driving, Stops And Wont Start--urgent

Ok so a few about 3 days ago when driving, my battery light turned on, the car got weaker and then the VSC, VSC off lights turned on and then the engine stopped, Got the car jumped, and after a few miles it did the same thing again going up the hill. Replaced the battery, it ran good for a couple of days but the battery light kept on coming and going, no jumps were needed. Got the battery and the alternator checked, they were fine but today again the lights turned on and the engine stopped. What should I do??? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Obviously whoever checked your alternator....didn't. If the battery is going dead, and it's a new battery....it's the alternator.

ok, can you tell me where exactly the alternator is located in the gs400? I have a 1998. Thanks.

Remove the serpentine belt and you'll see it quick enough. Be sure to disconnect the battery BEFORE removing the alternator. Take it to an automotive electric rebuilding shop. DO NOT exchange it - you want the one you have properly rebuilt.

Remove the serpentine belt and you'll see it quick enough. Be sure to disconnect the battery BEFORE removing the alternator. Take it to an automotive electric rebuilding shop. DO NOT exchange it - you want the one you have properly rebuilt.

Do you know offhand if they make rebuild kits for these for the DIYer?

Any good rebuilder will carry parts for Denso equipment. Brushes and bearings are usually all that is needed, or a brush holder that has the regulator built in. I don't know exactly what type is in our alternators. Bought that way the parts are cheap. Even the local Leuxs dealer uses the same rebuilder as I do.

Some years ago I had to rebuild the starter motor on a 1969 Ferrari Daytona. The shop rebuilt it for just over $200.00 - not bad considering the factory starter was $2100.00 - if you could find one. Still works perfectly. I trust these guys and had to because re and re-ing the starter on that Daytona took over 8 hours!

Do you know offhand if they make rebuild kits for these for the DIYer?

as far as i know they do BUT unless your fairly mechanically inclined and patient they not worth it...does your city not have a armature in town that can rebuild it?

Any good rebuilder will carry parts for Denso equipment. Brushes and bearings are usually all that is needed, or a brush holder that has the regulator built in. I don't know exactly what type is in our alternators. Bought that way the parts are cheap. Even the local Leuxs dealer uses the same rebuilder as I do.

Some years ago I had to rebuild the starter motor on a 1969 Ferrari Daytona. The shop rebuilt it for just over $200.00 - not bad considering the factory starter was $2100.00 - if you could find one. Still works perfectly. I trust these guys and had to because re and re-ing the starter on that Daytona took over 8 hours!

$2100 for a starter? Ouch! Just curious what the Dealer's labor would be?

Ferrari dealers work mostly on straight time - no flat rate as far as I know. I would think about $1000.00 labour or so. I installed a new clutch, and a starter ring gear on the same car a few months earlier, and that was way easier than the starter itself.

My point to the OP is that the starter on a Ferrari is nothing really out of the ordinary to a good rebuilder. It was a German made Marelli starter, and it's basic internal parts are quite common. The guys at the rebuilding shop had them in stock -24 hour turn-around.

But the starter itself is a large unit, and very expensive, and the exhaust system in it's entirety, and the two headers on the right side, had to come off to gain access to the starter. My back still hasn't forgiven me.....

Ok so a few about 3 days ago when driving, my battery light turned on, the car got weaker and then the VSC, VSC off lights turned on and then the engine stopped, Got the car jumped, and after a few miles it did the same thing again going up the hill. Replaced the battery, it ran good for a couple of days but the battery light kept on coming and going, no jumps were needed. Got the battery and the alternator checked, they were fine but today again the lights turned on and the engine stopped. What should I do??? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

I had a similar problem. I was putting in an iPod adapter and when I reinstalled the stereo head unit, I pinched a power wire and blew a fuse. I looked at the fuses under the drivers side near the steering wheel and the legend on the fuse box was hard to read, so I pulled each one out one at a time and returned them to where I pulled them from.... or so I thought! :( I later found other fuse boxes to check, and eventually found the proper one, BUT.... apparently there were some fuse boxes that were not fully populated, and when I returned a fuse, I put it in the slot next to where it goes (that slot was empty). My radio worked now, but it said I have a low battery. Since the car was almost 2 years old, I went to get a new one. With the new battery from Sears, I got VSC lights too, and eventually the car stalled and shut off. I jumped it and managed to get it to the Lexus dealer and they said the battery was dead and since it was new, it was probably defective. Lexus charged it for a 1/2 hour and I returned to Sears to return the battery. I decided to get a battery from Lexus to eliminate the battery type as the problem as I rarely seen defective new batteries. The VSC lights came on again and the car stalled so I had Lexus see if they could find the problem. They found the fuse in the wrong slot in less then an hour. They noticed the stereo amp in my trunk and figured an installer put the fuse in the wrong place.

I still don't know if the new Sears battery was defective or the VSC fuse was making the car die, but I was in panic that it might be a costly repair, but my local dealer took care of it. My symptoms were just like yours. I thought I would share what happened to me... maybe it's a bad VSC or fuse to it?