Is There An Es Without A Sun Roof

sgarson

I drive a 1998 ES300 and being tall, the lost headroom from the sun roof is undesirable. I want to get a newer used ES and wonder if there are any models with more head room or without the sun roof. I have no need for a sun roof.

Thanks!

Steve

I know the 2002+ ES's have an electric driver seat that you could make go really low. (I don't mean leaning back, I mean the seat part can be put really low to the floor). As far as the sunroof is concerned, I think that was one of those options that all ES's were shipped with.

I have only heard of a few that didn't have one, but they were very early models (92, 93).

steviej

2001 appears to be the last model year that the sunroof was optional on the ES:

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2001/2001ESspecs.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2002/2002ESspecs.pdf

If a similar but less well equipped Toyota front wheel drive sedan product is acceptable, the Camry V6, except for the XLE, has been and is still available without a sunroof.

I have not driven an ES350 but I can tell that the ES and Camry V6 from prior model years have a driving feel that I can not tell apart. The ES, however, has an interior that is much nicer than a Camry of the same model year.

I'm 6'4" and I was originally looking at ES300s before I bought my LS400.

I test drove some of the late 90's ES300s with sunroofs and couldn't fit, not enough headroom for me. I tested one without a sunroof and was able to fit. I think you get another couple of inches without the sunroof.

Rob

Rob22,

Yes, you'll gain another inch and a half without a sunroof in the car. My wife's 04 ES 330 has a sunroof and I have no problems getting my 6 foot 2 inches into it. Now, my 07 Subaru Outback Wagon has a dual sunroof, as well as a raised roof profile. This raised profile roof section (has been designed into Subaru Legacy Wagon and Outback Wagons since 1996, and you can get either model without the sunroofs in them) allows me to even wear a ten gallon hat and not touch the headliner. My 6 foot 6 inch older brother even fits into it. Its not a Lexus, but I'll bet you'll fit inside! Just a thought.