Rear Light Dashboard Indicator Still On W/ All Working...

TrippKnightly

Had high mount stop light bulb out and dashboard indicator was on. Replaced bulb. All rear lights now working. Dashboard indicator still on however. I did use a long life replacement bulb from sylvania (that's all that Pep Boys and Auto Zone seem to carry). I read in passing in another thread that the LL bulbs don't allow enough passive current to pass to and so you get a false negative on the rear bulb.

True? Other ideas?

I plan to hunt and peck w/ trial and error cleaning contacts and what not but thought there may be an opine about disconnecting the battery or some other "try this first" thought.

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP & more info.

The only other thing I've since noticed is that the indicator light comes on when shifting into gear. Not when pressing brake pedal (say when in park) or turning on the lights.

I can make it happen when shifting from Park to reverse, or from neutral (starting the engine while in neutral) - suggesting that it's not a failure on say the backup lights.

Any input?

TrippKnightly,

What worked for me on a '95 Avalon was to change all the rear bulbs. A PIA, but the dash light would go out and I'd be good for 4-5 years.

My 2 cents. :)

Tom

Thx Tom. Upon further review, I noticed that it was actually when pressing the brake that the light came on. On further further review I noticed one of the still-working brake bulbs was kind of old (filament looked worn, inside glass somewhat blackened). Replaced. Dash indicator out. Moral for posterity: even a working light that's old can throw a false failure reading. So for this problem, I had both a failed high-mount stop, and a failing rear brake light.

Fixed.