Timing Belt Replacement On A 02 Ls430

LakeDog1

Anyone have any advice. The local Lexus dealer just recommended replacing the timing belt on my 2002 LS430 with 66,000 miles. The owners manual recommends changing it at 90,000. Has anyone had a failure before 90K? The dealer wants about $270. Would a failure of the belt ruin the top end of the engine?

The timing belt should be changed every 90,000 miles or 6 years. Yes, people have had failures before 90K miles, but that is unlikely. If the belt breaks, it will most likely cause serious damage costing much more than the cost of changing the belt.

$270 sounds very cheap. If it truly is that much, I would not think twice about it.

Yes, failure of belt would ruin engine. I just had mine done (2002 LS430, 75,000 miles) just because I got nervous after seven years (they say 90k or six years). Independents and other dealers have told me I can wait and take my chances, so it's your call). Wish you the best. Great price quoted for you though.

Anyone have any advice. The local Lexus dealer just recommended replacing the timing belt on my 2002 LS430 with 66,000 miles. The owners manual recommends changing it at 90,000. Has anyone had a failure before 90K? The dealer wants about $270. Would a failure of the belt ruin the top end of the engine?

At $270, I would even buy him a case of beer! :cheers: The price is very low. Make sure it's an "all in" price and get it in writing. Anyone making an offer verbally should have no probs writing it up without feeling insulted, that's just plain smart biz. Get it done and have the water pump, tensioner and idlers replaced as well. Ask them for fresh coolant mixed with distilled water only. If this is a bonified estimate, then I think you've got the best price I've heard of outside of diy or a family member doing it. Get him 2 cases even. :D

$270 !!! unheard of from Shop for a Lexus, please double,triple check what a bargain if it is true, make sure it is the complete job. wow!!!!!!!!

AN

I agree with everyone else. That price is lowwwwww. I would expect $2,270 from a dealer for the job, not $270. Is this just the parts? The whole day is going to be spent doing this job and at standard labor rates the price you were given is not making sense to me or anyone else it seems. :huh:

So if it is the serpentine belt - well that's pricey if it's like previous engines. Lexus belts run around $80.00 here in the Great White North, and replacing the ones on my cars takes about three minutes.