Female Needs Help; '05 Is 300

rcgiggles

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if the ECU reset works? I just purchased an '05 and am concerned about my mileage. I took a road trip and got about 22mpg, however I just filled up a couple days ago and have been driving on streets/highway and only got 55 miles in my first 1/4 tank!!! I just purchased the car last week from a Lexus dealer.

I found some threads about improving gas mileage and read all the responses. I want to try resetting the ECU, however the link to the tutorial is inactive (I just saw it a couple days ago). Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this? I think the tutorial said something about pumping the breaks 10 times... Also, do I need to clean any sensors or use Gumout or a fuel additive like other members have tried (and received good results)?

Otherwise, I love my car! Just need to get the mileage up a little higher! Thanks for your help :)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if the ECU reset works? I just purchased an '05 and am concerned about my mileage. I took a road trip and got about 22mpg, however I just filled up a couple days ago and have been driving on streets/highway and only got 55 miles in my first 1/4 tank!!! I just purchased the car last week from a Lexus dealer.

I found some threads about improving gas mileage and read all the responses. I want to try resetting the ECU, however the link to the tutorial is inactive (I just saw it a couple days ago). Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this? I think the tutorial said something about pumping the breaks 10 times... Also, do I need to clean any sensors or use Gumout or a fuel additive like other members have tried (and received good results)?

Otherwise, I love my car! Just need to get the mileage up a little higher! Thanks for your help :)

I too live in your area and my gas mileage has dropped slightly. I drive early morning in about 48-50 degree weather, a bit unusual for us. Usually we are in the mid to high 60's. May seem warm to our friends back East, but I believe the engine is running a little more "rich" due to the colder weather, mostly before it reaches operating temperature. I believe if you disconnect the battery for about 30 min, and then reconnect, it resets the ECU.

Make sure tires are at proper pressure, and keep up on your tune-ups. Try not to drive it "hard" when the engine is cold.

Hope this helps.

I'd check the tire pressure first & go from there. How many miles on your 05 IS?

I have around 48,550 miles on it. Since I bought it last week from a Lexus dealer I just "assumed" the tire pressure would be normal. Shame on me :)

Hi everyone,

Disconnect the negative black wire for 10 min or more. YOu don't need to pump brakes. This puts your ECU to the original default settings. Reconnect and go out and drive round town a while and then on highway awhile varying your speeds.

I have an off-topic question: I am no phD or anything, but simply an interested student of human psychology...

I often wonder what a topic listed as "Female Needs Help" in this case (or posted by someone named "CarHottieChick" in other cases I have seen) means?

What is the poster's intention by prefacing a post like this?

Does that mean that the poster wants you to phrase the reply in a fashion that a female would "understand" it as if the average female can't comprende mechanical car stuff? Personally, I don't buy into this premise, but it could be the reason, I guess.

or

Does it imply that since car enthusiasts are mostly guys, that they probably would or should pay particular attention to a post by a Female?

or

Do I simply not define myself correctly like other people do by prefacing every post I make with "Male needs help!"? Should I be defined by my s*x in an automotive forum? Do you even really care what s*x posters are? Will you help a female poster more readily than a similar respectfully worded question from a male?

or

Are we, as mostly guys in a car enthusiast forum (if that is indeed a true assumption), supposed to have our "Knight in Shining Armor" rescue instincts inflamed by a Female-in-Need post?

Seriously, I am not trying to stir anything up but I am genuinely intrigued by things like this. :unsure:

I have an off-topic question: I am no phD or anything, but simply an interested student of human psychology...

I often wonder what a topic listed as "Female Needs Help" in this case (or posted by someone named "CarHottieChick" in other cases I have seen) means?

What is the poster's intention by prefacing a post like this?

Does that mean that the poster wants you to phrase the reply in a fashion that a female would "understand" it as if the average female can't comprende mechanical car stuff? Personally, I don't buy into this premise, but it could be the reason, I guess.

or

Does it imply that since car enthusiasts are mostly guys, that they probably would or should pay particular attention to a post by a Female?

or

Do I simply not define myself correctly like other people do by prefacing every post I make with "Male needs help!"? Should I be defined by my s*x in an automotive forum? Do you even really care what s*x posters are? Will you help a female poster more readily than a similar respectfully worded question from a male?

or

Are we, as mostly guys in a car enthusiast forum (if that is indeed a true assumption), supposed to have our "Knight in Shining Armor" rescue instincts inflamed by a Female-in-Need post?

Seriously, I am not trying to stir anything up but I am genuinely intrigued by things like this. :unsure:

You're right about one thing.

Hi everyone,

rc,

Assuming your car should be getting better gas mileage....

Resetting the ECU will not make any difference in your fuel mileage... that's a myth.

There are a number of factors that will effect fuel mileage - in a mechanically sound engine - engine tune will be very important. You could have a bad O2 sensor, a clogged CAT converter, partially plugged fuel injectors, a bad batch of fuel, a sensor could be failing, and list goes on. You need to find out what the dealer did to the car before you bought it. Did they perform a "tune-up"? Were the fluids changed? Did the dealer replace the air filter, spark plugs, etc.? Were they any codes showing up? Is there a maintenance history?

Driving style can have a serious effect on fuel mileage. Is the car idling for long periods? Are you hauling around a trunk full of paper or other stuff? Did your "road trip" cover climbs in elevation?

I'd put a can of Berryman Chemtool B-12 into a full tank of fuel - that might help clean the injectors - can't hurt.

Under inflated tires can cause a drop in fuel mileage.

If you think the MPG is too low, then take the car back to the dealer and ask them to check it out.

That's just my worthless opinion. :D

Thanks Randy! I'll look into all of these. I'm gonna have the dealer look at it and we'll see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

:unsure:

I think we should all try posting with the "Female needs help" title! :P That way no one gets ignored.

What happened to rcgiggles? Where's the "tech" feedback?

On Billy's comments, I think he already knows the answers? I think guys like any opportunity to strut their stuff and show-off what we think we know... I mean... we are all experts at cars --- right?

If I were a female, I'd do what any bright female should do... use her feminine "mystique" and reap the benefits!!

No doubt, Randy!

In my next life I want to come back as a really hot chick and work that mystique like gold-backed currency.

Anna Nicole Smith had the right idea...dumber than a bag of hammers, but wiley enough to marry up; way up!

:cheers:

On Billy's comments, I think he already knows the answers? I think guys like any opportunity to strut their stuff and show-off what we think we know... I mean... we are all experts at cars --- right? --- not to take anything away from our female counterparts! I mean Danica Patrick can probably talk the talk and walk the walk!!

If I were a female, I'd do what any bright female should do... use her feminine "mystique" and reap the benefits!!

Danica Patrick. Now you're talking! :cheers: Check these out.

Pretty slick website:

http://www.danicaracing.com/

Honda commercial:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=04Ig6k8VXbg&...feature=related

Her and Jay-Z:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQCpgfQt_w&NR=1

I suppose this is how you get the guys to give you a hand or whatever's available:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LggD-l7SmAU

Danica's beaver ad:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-DTEbv3L5mI&...feature=related

Danica = Hot

Do you think she used her wiley nature or does she actually have skills?

These clips should answer your question:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xBfsGLdMFDY&...feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cAWOYVp2g_w&...feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oiENIJaLGHc&...feature=related

On Billy's comments, I think he already knows the answers? I think guys like any opportunity to strut their stuff and show-off what we think we know... I mean... we are all experts at cars --- right? --- not to take anything away from our female counterparts! I mean Danica Patrick can probably talk the talk and walk the walk!!

Danica Patrick. Now you're talking! :cheers: Check these out.

Pretty slick website:

http://www.danicaracing.com/

Honda commercial:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=04Ig6k8VXbg&...feature=related

Her and Jay-Z:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQCpgfQt_w&NR=1

I suppose this is how you get the guys to give you a hand or whatever's available:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LggD-l7SmAU

Danica's beaver ad:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-DTEbv3L5mI&...feature=related

Wow.. I love "show time".... and of course at the end of the beaver commercial "No beaver was used in the filming of "Exposure".... mostly because they are nasty and bite like hell" :lol::lol:

Ya gotta love a female that can do Sports Illust Swimsuit shoots and knows what a header is! ;)