Michelin X-ice Xi2 Snow Tires

landar

I repent of ever thinking maybe I did not really need dedicated snow tires! Just tried my new X-Ice's on some fresh snow.

What a night and day difference from the all-seasons.

Took her out to an empty parking lot with about 2" of snow and did some "donuts" or at least tried. Not easy. Maneuvers which would have

had me doing a 180 before were like driving on dry pavement. Unbelievable. I had to literally slam on the brakes to get the ABS to kick in, and even then we came to a quick stop. And that was on packed-down, "glaring" snow.

All of you who think that dedicated snows are the only way to go are 100% correct! I am a believer (yea, yea, yea, I'ma believer....) :D

Dedicated winter tires bud, 'snow' tires pretty much are non-existant these days ;) & yes there is a difference.

The X-Ice 2 is an excellent choice to be sure.....only thing that bothers me (at least for my application) is the tread depth is only 10.5/32nd's. I like at least 12 - 13 personally.....reports are coming in (even though it's a new product) that they are wearing fast.

:cheers:

Dedicated winter tires bud, 'snow' tires pretty much are non-existant these days ;) & yes there is a difference.

The X-Ice 2 is an excellent choice to be sure.....only thing that bothers me (at least for my application) is the tread depth is only 10.5/32nd's. I like at least 12 - 13 personally.....reports are coming in (even though it's a new product) that they are wearing fast.

:cheers:

Actually, Tire Rack categorizes them as "Studless Ice and Snow".

Sorry for the confusion. It won't happen again. :glare:

I am also a little concerned about how long they will last. Guess it depends upon how long you keep them on after the roads

are dry and temps are above freezing? But more concerned about the safety. They could only last 2 seasons and I would consider

them worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, am a believer in winter tires. I live in the snowy, frozen tundra of MN and have used a set of Yokohamas on a '90 LS and a set of Winterforce (Firestone) on a '93 LS both with great results. The Yokohamas are on their 5th winter with little tread loss and Winterforce on their 2nd winter. Would not drive an LS w/o these tires.