How To Repair Cracked Windshield

eli2k

I was driving on the freeway today and some jerk threw out some heavy object that went smack into my face, but luckily the windshield was there to protect me from it (whew). Now there is a small fracture (kind of like two star-shaped cracks). They are about 1cm in diameter each, and they are 1cm diameter apart, connected. What's the best way to take care of this? I read online they have these windshield repair shops that can inject some sort of resin to fix it up. Besides that, the other options are 1) replace, 2) leave it alone.

Thanks,

- Eli

Thanks. So you all recommend a fix (at a shop), and not a complete replacement, right?

not me, I recommend the complete replacement.

steviej

Another vote for the complete replacement here.

how far are the star shape cracks from the edge of the windshield? As long as they are one inch from the edge, the shop can repair it.

i had a star shape crack repaired. it looks almost perfect, just still a minor crack appearance no big deal.

i have 21st insurance. their full coverage portion covers the repair at no charge and no deductible. it beats a new windshield. . $300. . .

i have 21st insurance. their full coverage portion covers the repair at no charge and no deductible. it beats a new windshield. . $300. . .

that's why I suggested he check his insurance.....my insurance gives full replacement with no deductible and I am allowed 1 claim/replacement per year.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

I have tons of cracks... I usually just buy the DIY repair kits that reduce the appearance and stop the cracks from spreading... granted I've never had any usually large damage... anything big and I'd opt for a replacement. Windshield shops charge about $30 to do the job, or you can spend about $10 and do it yourself.