New Gs Owner...2nd Time Lexus Owner...

HI all! Just picked up an 06 GS300 and I have a question about the SAT radio...

There is a AM/SAT button on the Mark Levinson system I have, yet when I push it, it just goes to the AM stations. Does that mean that I do not have SAT capabilities, or that it's just not activated? On the original window sticker that I found in the glovebox, it makes no mention of sat radio...

So...if I don't have the capabilities, does anyone know how much it costs to make it happen through the stock system?

Welcome to the forum CDubGS.

When I purchased my used '06 GS, I had the same setup. AM/SAT button on the console, but no satellite capabilities. I took the car in and had them add XM Radio in the car, so it is integrated into my system. They charged me $300 for the parts and $250 for the labor to install.

Since my car did not have a shark fin on the back of the roof, they strung the antenna up through the trunk and connected it to the rear/passenger side of the car, right next to the trunk. It is about 1" by 1" and about a half inch thick...so it is not terribly visible.

I created a post on my experiences a little over a year ago on this forum. Here's the link: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=42245&hl=

So, now the AM/SAT button cycles through my AM and three XM Radio preset lists and the steering wheel cycles through the preset channels. The only thing I don't like is that the '06 generation display screen shows the first 10 characters of the song artist and song title only....but....I can live with that.

--Duckman

Welcome to the forum CDubGS.

When I purchased my used '06 GS, I had the same setup. AM/SAT button on the console, but no satellite capabilities. I took the car in and had them add XM Radio in the car, so it is integrated into my system. They charged me $300 for the parts and $250 for the labor to install.

Since my car did not have a shark fin on the back of the roof, they strung the antenna up through the trunk and connected it to the rear/passenger side of the car, right next to the trunk. It is about 1" by 1" and about a half inch thick...so it is not terribly visible.

I created a post on my experiences a little over a year ago on this forum. Here's the link: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=42245&hl=

So, now the AM/SAT button cycles through my AM and three XM Radio preset lists and the steering wheel cycles through the preset channels. The only thing I don't like is that the '06 generation display screen shows the first 10 characters of the song artist and song title only....but....I can live with that.

--Duckman

I went to the dealership close to me...quoted $795 to do the integration! I read your other post about your experience, and I'm going to call around to a few of the other dealers to see what I can do to knock that down a bit.

Thanks for your reply!

If the previous owner already had the SAT radio installed then you need only activate it with Sirius/XM. The radio in you car has a specific ID number that you can get by tuning to station 1 on the SAT radio. You will know it had previously been activated because you will already have an antenna and you will be able to get to SAT radio but you will not be able to listen to any station....just their message telling you how to subscribe.

If you have no antenna, then shop around as you will want to find the best price. You will only need the antenna install as the radio is SAT ready.

Activation and subscription is another fee. Find out what is included in the dealer quoted $795. It may include activation, a year subscription and the antenna install.

steviej

If the previous owner already had the SAT radio installed then you need only activate it with Sirius/XM. The radio in you car has a specific ID number that you can get by tuning to station 1 on the SAT radio. You will know it had previously been activated because you will already have an antenna and you will be able to get to SAT radio but you will not be able to listen to any station....just their message telling you how to subscribe.

If you have no antenna, then shop around as you will want to find the best price. You will only need the antenna install as the radio is SAT ready.

Activation and subscription is another fee. Find out what is included in the dealer quoted $795. It may include activation, a year subscription and the antenna install.

steviej

The 795 included all the components...not just the antenna missing...apparently there is another module they need to install behind the nav unit in addition to the antenna.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Initially, I too had the same exact problem where I pressed the AM/Sat button and only the AM buttons would cycle, and then sat1/sat2/sat3 displayed but only played a total of 12 channels.

I took it to lexus (6 months later) and found that it was never activated and the blonde in me (i have no blond streaks btw) thought it was due to the satellite signal not being good.

Sirius is horrible! They put the black triangular receiver on the passenger side on the front glass of the vehicle. The connection is not solid and almost always loses signal whether its a clear sky or cloudy one.

I found a lexus dealership with a coupon for installation, maybe your local lexus dealer can match or beat it.

Regards,

Ali

Lexus XM Radio installed: $699

http://www.lexusofconcord.com/MiscPage_2?s...801213120752137

lexus of concord, california

post-41235-1234084418_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hello!

Initially, I too had the same exact problem where I pressed the AM/Sat button and only the AM buttons would cycle, and then sat1/sat2/sat3 displayed but only played a total of 12 channels.

I took it to lexus (6 months later) and found that it was never activated and the blonde in me (i have no blond streaks btw) thought it was due to the satellite signal not being good.

Sirius is horrible! They put the black triangular receiver on the passenger side on the front glass of the vehicle. The connection is not solid and almost always loses signal whether its a clear sky or cloudy one.

I found a lexus dealership with a coupon for installation, maybe your local lexus dealer can match or beat it.

Regards,

Ali

hi im new as well to this forum and was wondering if this is the same procedures to getting sirius

• 2 months later...
Hello!

Regards,

Ali

Actually, it's not Sirius, it's a bad install job. I'm very familiar with Sirius and XM both and have Sirius in my '08 GS350. I went with the aftermarket tuner mounted inside the center console lid and the antennae installed through the console up through the dash and through the sunroof. This is the 2nd GS I've had this system in (had a 2001 GS300) and both systems work flawlessly. You can't control it through the nav system but it really doesn't matter. You just program a preset on your FM tuner and you're good to go. Change the channels with the Sirius remote. So again, it's not Sirius. It's how it was installed.

JV

B)