Front End Problem?

es30014

On my 02 ES300, underneath the front of the car, there looks like there is a big long black (possibly plastic panel) that is not screwed into the car on both sides. One side just flops and dangles. When going over harsh bumps, it will rattle and make a bad noise. Is this something that needs fixing??

There are actually two black plastic splash guards. There are about 5-7 10mm machine screws that hold the leading edge to the underside of the bumper. The outer two most bolts hold the two side edges. Behind the trailing edge are many holes in the plastic. Some of these holes line up with holes in the frame and other parts underneath the car. There were black push pins originally installed at the factory. There is a trick to getting them out so that they can be used again. Sorry, I know not this trick.

However, these pins are available at the dealership. A cheap alternative to these pins are inside upholstery/panel push pins obtainable at any auto parts. They look like christmas trees with many branches that are angled in one direction. They work in a pinch, but the 10 mm bolts have to be there on the leading edge.

Go to a dealership and peak under a new car to see what I am talking about.

These panels have to be removed to get at the back side of the foglights and anything up under the very front of the car.

Has the car been serviced recently that these bolts should have been removed?

If you need, I can snap some pics of the underside of my car to illustrate what I tried to describe.

steviej

Since you have an 02, it should be under full warranty. Take it to lexus dealer and have them explain it to you and have them fix the problem.

Let us know what they said and whether Steviej's posted explanation was correct.

It is very minor to fix ,unless the panels rub alot on the ground and now have been grazed.

It is really easy to add the bolts or replace the panels which are used to direct the air flow under the car and through the rad .

The only problem is the price of these small parts are really expensive . It hould be no problem to get lexus to replace them if needed ,especially if they do all its service