99 Lexus Rx300 P1354 P0505 Misfire 2,4,6

gman13

I bought a 1999 RX300 AWD with a bad engine.

Previous owner took a hammer to the Front Cyl Head & Intake.

Bought a Used Head, sent both heads to mach shop (valve job) & rebuilt engine.

Engine runs poorly, no power at all, & sets DTC P1354, P0302, P0304 & P0306, No power at all

Replaced the Oil Control Valve & Cam Position Sensor

OCV Filter is Clean

I thought maybe the cams in the used head might be wrong so I bought another used head off a

Rx300 AWD & switched out the Intake cam, No Change still running poorly & setting the same codes.

Any suggestions !!!

Jay

When you changed cam did you use the same cam gear? The Gear can be hanging up and not allowing advance....This is what is inside that gear...It is oil controlled and changes the timing dependent on engine speed.

post-12820-0-40996500-1337348456_thumb.j

• 10 months later...

I have similar issue, hard brake pedal, no brakes, rough idle, COdes P1346, P1349, P0300, P0301, P0303, p0305. Any suggestion?

I just fixed my 99 RX300 for the same problems and symptoms for bank 1 (close to the firewall). The codes were p1349 Variable Valve Timing (VVT) System Malfunction code and misfire codes p0300, p0301, p0303 an p0305. Rough idles, hard brake pedal at time, lurching and also engine/transmission humming at steady 80kph experienced. Found alot of info on OCV replacement from Google but no specific causes to valve failure.

I check the ocv filter ok, check OCV resistance ok (compare B1 to B2). Check OCV B1 mechanically by shaking the valve and compare to b2 and notice the shuttle valve moves more easily (louder noise when shaking indication of the OCV fails mechanically). Replace B1 OCV, clear DTC and been driving for more than 100 kms and CEL has not come back yet. Before replacement CEL turned on after drvining for approx 15 kms on first drive cycle.

Good luck.

• 4 years later...

I had the exact same issue with my 2001 RX300 in bank 2. I got a code for multiple misfires in cylinders 2, 4 and 6. The car was idling rough, and smelled of gas and had a flashing CEL. I replaced The Bank 2 A/F sensor, and replaced both VVT solenoids (OCVs).. and nothing worked. By the way,  when you are reinstalling the new solenoids be very careful not to snap the brittle 6mm bolt.. I've learned from experience!

The last resort solution (which should have been first) was very simple. I disconnected the computer that is located under the passenger side glove compartment just by removing all cables, cleaning with contact cleaner,  and plugging them back in. This reset the computer and it was fixed! (This may also be possible via shorting the cars leads after disconnecting the battery, but im not sure.) Try this first. Would have saved me tons of time and money!

• 2 years later...

My 99 Lexus rx300 code says misfire on 2 4 and 6. With a 1351 code..from what I've read elsewhere the code says its the crankshaft position sensor not camshaft does anyone know why....thanks