Diy Servo Motors Replacement

for the most part this is complete. this was a very time consuming DIY because i stopped and took pics and documented it. will update when i get new servos in as last ones i got still didnt work (dont buy them used). i do suggest you do both even if only ones out as its annoying to have to do this ONLY 2 turn around and have to do it again when the other goes out to! i figured it was about time some1 did a DIY on this so here it is

part numbers from sewell are: i paid this price using discount cl911m but if u use clublexus as the discount they are cheaper (2 bad i didnt know that till today). search under part #'s

Product #:8710630371 Lexus OEM Damper (For Mode) Servo Sub-Assembly, Quantity:1, Price:$143.38, Item Total:$143.38

quick link (this is WITHOUT the discount price, you'll have to apply that at the end)

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_det...45432&all=Y

Product #:8710630341, Lexus OEM Damper (For Cooling Unit) Servo Sub-Assy, Quantity:1, Price:$141.31, Item Total:$141.31

quick link (this is WITHOUT the discount price, you'll have to apply that at the end)

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/parts_det...82158&all=Y

i did not replace the air recirculation servo (step 12 and 13, this is the servo that brings in fresh air from outside the car or recirculates old air in the car) as most of us wont be either (for some reason its NOT prone 2 failure like the other 2 are) but i included it incase some1 does need to replace it or just wants to know where it is!

see since i did this ALONG time ago and just not fixing to do it again i forgot some of the small details so i will try and update them soon.....

1st and 2nd step ....i think this is a 10 mm bolt. unscrew these

1stStep.jpg

2ndStep.jpg

3rd and 4th step....should be able to pull this out. it just pops out after you unscrew the bolts....disconnect all lights/plugs on it or at least unhook them

3rdStep.jpg

4thStep.jpg

5th and 6th step....unscrew bolts holding glove box on there are 3 SCREWS i know if u look at pics you'll think there are 4 but one pic just shows the same screw

5thStep.jpg

6thStep.jpg

on 7th step...you'll see the metal tabs that will hold it in AFTER you've unscrewed it, they just pop or pry out. UNHOOK NOT UNPLUG SRS from glove box (YELLOW WIRE) this is your passenger side airbag and you don't want it blowing off in your face so just unhook it from the glove box and push it back outta the way, unplug glove box light (now might be a good time to upgrade the lighting or the bulb)

7thStep.jpg

8th and 9th step....you'll be unscrewing cd player (again i think its 10mm bolts i cant seem to find mine to verify oops)

ONLY 2 BOLTS ON CD PLAYER, ONE ON EACH SIDE

8thStep.jpg

9thStep.jpg

10th and 11th step....unhooking cd player. after cd player is unbolted it will slide out (towards you) and be left dangling on the plug

9thStep.jpg

just unplug it

11hStep.jpg

12th and 13th step...air recirculation servo. if u look to the left on the 13th step u can see the other servo (will update which one it is later)

UNLESS YOUR REPLACING THE AIR RECIRCULATION SERVO YOU DONT NEED STEP 12 MOST PEOPLE WONT NEED THIS STEP

12thStepAirRecirculaterServo.jpg

AirRecirculationServo.jpg

14th,15th and 16th step....here is where my details are failing me...i forgot WHICH servo this is (will update when i redo this fix, these pics are just showing you the location of the servo)

13thStepServo.jpg

same servo- different angle (looking straight at glove box, i turned camera to left facing drivers door and snapped this pic)

14thStepServo.jpg

ServoLocation.jpg

17th step....pull wires from cd player/glove box light and etc OUT of the way

16thStepPullWiringOutOfTheWay.jpg

THIS DOES NOT REQUIRE REMOVING THE BLOWER WHEEL OR FILTER BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT UNTIL I HAD ALREADY DONE ALTHOUGH DOING SO WILL GIVE YOU MORE ROOM DOWN THERE SO I DO RECOMMEND YOU GO AHEAD AND DO THAT AND WHILE YOUR IN THERE INSTALL A NEW, CLEAN FILTER

Blower wheel removal....

17th step..i assume everyone knows how to remove a cabin air filter, if not check out this link

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...ots-of-pix.html

18th step....mine is already removed in this step

BlowerWheelWithCabinAirFilterRemove.jpg

AirFilterCoverAndAirFilterRemoved.jpg

19th step....you'll see a plug in the first pic

BlowerWheelPlug.jpg

20th and 21st step....just unplug it and let it hang for a sec

BlowerWheelPlugHangingDown.jpg

BlowerWheelPlugUndone.jpg

22nd, 23rd, and 24th step....3 screws hold the blower wheel up

BlowerWheelScrew.jpg

AnotherBlowerWheelScrew.jpg

LastBlowerWheelScrew.jpg

25th and 26th step...u can see screws and plug on here, while the blower wheel is down i would advise to clean it off

BottomOfBlowerWheel.jpg

TopSideOfBlowerWheel.jpg

27th, 28th, 29th, and 30th step....pry plastic shroud off white box (actually don't pry, has tabs u can put a flat head under and pull up WITHOUT breaking to release this) need to do this so you have room to get to the servos

17thStepPryPlasticCapOffBeCareful.jpg

18thStepCapOffRoomToWork.jpg

19thStepSlideCapOutOfTheWay.jpg

20thStepPullAreaWhereCapWasOutOfThe.jpg

31st step...white lid off servo full exposed (again forgot which one will update later)

21stStepCapRemovedServoExposed.jpg

32nd step....unscrew and remove servo.24thStepUnscrewServo.jpg

this is what the pic will look like if your looking straight at the glove box AFTER you have removed the servo

15thStepAreaWhereYoullBeWorking.jpg

33rd step....with the first one removed you can now see the other servo you'll be replacing (again forgot which is which but will update when i fix them again). if u follow the aluminum a/c lines down to where they bend, look to the left. that little black box is the other servo you'll be replacing

23rdStepShowingServo.jpg

34th step....i had 2 use a small phillipshead screwdriver like one we sell at work to get to the back servo

SmallScrewDriver.jpg

35th and 36th step....crawl under dash and unscrew bottom servo....takes some finagling to get to this one

25thStepUnscrewOtherServo.jpg

22ndStepUnscreServo.jpg

reinstall and screw the NEW servos in....make sure you put the white arms on the servos INTO the tracks they came out of (grooved white plastic piece you'll see it when you take them out) BEFORE reinstalling glove box,cd player,etc be sure you check these (mine jumped outta the grove the first time) turn on car and run through air flow directions etc..... then reassemble the reverse way! last pics are of ONE of my mechanics helping me....thanks wes

my original post

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...rvo-motors.html

• Like 1

Super nice job.. I have looked at this and your right.... that little screw driver is a MUST!. Very nice detail.. everyone should have pictures..

BP

ty very much. yeah that little screwdriver came in handy. we sell them at work so i just used one from up there! yeah pics make EVERYTHING seem easier

Awesome post very detailed. I did exactly what you said but all my servos were fully opening and closing. I noticed you only did the passenger side servos what does the drivers side servo do. I have cold air on drivers side still, I think it would be a servo but all appeared to work. Im freezing my butt off in MN while my passenger is hot. I would think the servo on the drivers side would be the one I need to replace? But I dont know for sure, anyone know?

Awesome post very detailed. I did exactly what you said but all my servos were fully opening and closing. I noticed you only did the passenger side servos what does the drivers side servo do. I have cold air on drivers side still, I think it would be a servo but all appeared to work. Im freezing my butt off in MN while my passenger is hot. I would think the servo on the drivers side would be the one I need to replace? But I dont know for sure, anyone know?

since im running about 2-3 hours of sleep (ty girlfriend) im barely functioning this morning even to think...i will respond on your post since your double posting i didnt wanna clog my post, so im gonna switch all the responses back to yours so im not double posting after this one...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=34665

ok.........the drivers side servo, DOES indeed control the heat on the drivers side...or the dual zone for the drivers side. either way, this is NOT the servo you want out, replacement DOES require at least pulling some of the dash down (dealer says you must remove dash) but it can be done with the dash lowered. this will not be a fun, cheap, or easy fix....im sure the servo (depending on where you get it will cost you bout 140-200 but labor will get you on this one. sorry man, let me knwo what you end up doing and if you do it yourself PLEASE do a DIY write up so some of us can see this one....odd though its not often i hear about that one going out so i wonder if they are better servo's on the drivers side or a different brand or something

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys for the most part this should fix all your problems but i have run into a strange one again....

ok so i ordered some "used" servos awhile ago from a member, sent them back after i got them as they still wouldnt engage the foot mode....so i installed the new ones straight from the bag i got from sewell lexus. GUESS WHAT? THEY WONT ENGAGE INTO FOOT MODE EITHER...when i put it in feet/face mode it turns on face + defrost, when i put it on feet mode it goes just to defrost BUT if i drive around for 10-20 min SOMETIMES it will finally kick into the foot mode. i have watched all the servos (yes EVEN the drivers side, although i didn't pull the dash i just removed that black plastic foot piece and watched it engage) so i know they ALL are working but i still cannot get this to go into feet mode.....

i did run a diagnostic and am showing NO codes....put it in test mode on mode 6 it runs partly on feet but mode 7 it will ONLY run top defrost and#7 is a feet test mode.

anyone have ne1 ideas? my mechanic said these units need to be calibrated but i have NEVER heard of these having to be calibrated, so before i take it to the stealership (where they are gonna tell me i need to replace my mode servo) can someone help me out here? ne ideas or suggestions?

does ne1 know a calibration method? i got one yesterday claiming it works on the NON ML cars and i tried it neways an guess what? it didnt work lol. WOULDNT THIS BE THE SAME (oopps) calibration for a ML equipped car?

post # 35 forward

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...sides-3.html#35

• 11 years later...
  • 2 months later...