Backfiring 2000 Gs300

Recently, my 200 GS300 started backfiring, through the intake. It seems like it happens after I slow down and then try to accelerate quickly, especially from a stop. I doesn't do it all the time, but it is annoying.

I bought the car at 91,000. Changed the timing belt immediately, and switched to synthetic oil. It ran great for 12,000 miles. But I did notice that the oil was a quart low between oil changes. I suspect that the engine is too worn for synthetic, so I have changed back to dino oil.

It looks like the VVT (variable valve timing) solenoid is oil driven. I suspected that maybe the low oil was affecting the VVT solenoid. The problem is still there.

Anyone had to change their VVT solenoid? Anyone with a similar issue? Ideas/suggestions/experiences with back firing? Thanks

Usually this will mean you are running lean. It's best to check for simple things first. Do you have an intake air leak? Try spraying carb cleaner around vacuum lines, throttle body to intake, and such. Low fuel pressure (clogged fuel filter). Of course, timing is always a suspect. The computer can compensate for a lot, but if something is worn out or sticking, the computer can only make up for so much.

Usually this will mean you are running lean. It's best to check for simple things first. Do you have an intake air leak? Try spraying carb cleaner around vacuum lines, throttle body to intake, and such. Low fuel pressure (clogged fuel filter). Of course, timing is always a suspect. The computer can compensate for a lot, but if something is worn out or sticking, the computer can only make up for so much.

i think he is running rich you might what to check your timing,intake manifold gaskets,injectors, ect

• 4 weeks later...

i am having the same problem with my car 1999 Lexus GS 300 when i try to accelerate quickly from stop the car speed up slowly & sound coming from the exhaust like if its clogged then opened (**Bugg**) even that i changed the spark plug but without benefit.