Advice On Buying A Used 5 Speed Sc300/400

Ryz0n

Lately, I've been really interested in building an SC, but it's an old car and is somewhat rare. There's tons of autos, but I just really want a MANUAL. I'd love to find one in white or black, auto that isn't a problem, but 5 speed is another story. What kind of advice do you guys have for obtaining a well-kept 5 speed?

Go for it. They are very similar mechanically to NA supras so you are not stuck with the Lexus cost of parts.

Oh, but don't expect it to handle and drive like a Supra unless you pour money into it. The SC was from the start a personal luxury coupe that was about quiet, cushy ride, soft seats, smooth everthing, etc...

Keep looking around online and in your local area but don't rush buying one.

I first saw mine in June of 08 but the guy did not want to negotiate much so we had no deal. Later in the summer I saw an SC400 for less on a Sunday. I liked it but when I told the guy I would need my mechanic to check it out for me on Monday he said if I took it then and there he would drop the price another $500. It was too good to be true and I almost went for it but patience paid off.

The stock market crashed in October and on election day I was driving the first one I saw home for $2900 less than his first asking price and $1600 less than my best offer he refused in June.

There have been some very nice SCs on ebay lately....many people are crazy for the 97+ so middle model years are crashing in value. Find a 96 5 speed if you can because it will be worth less than a 97 just cause of the body style and it has OBD II which makes solving problems easier (something 92-95 lacks).

This one in my area is a good starting point. It does lack being a 96 but the miles are low and it looks clean. I'd just add a 97+ style spoiler and slap on some late model GS300 wheels to make it look much better. With car sales being as dismal as they are I bet somewhere between 5500-6000 would be enough to buy this car.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/955881317.html

• 4 weeks later...
Lately, I've been really interested in building an SC, but it's an old car and is somewhat rare. There's tons of autos, but I just really want a MANUAL. I'd love to find one in white or black, auto that isn't a problem, but 5 speed is another story. What kind of advice do you guys have for obtaining a well-kept 5 speed?

I had a 92 SC 300 5 speed several years ago. I believe Lexus only built several hundred. Anyway, I loved it!

Later I sold it because I needed a 4 door Lexus and we still had our 92 SC400 that we purchased new which by the way still runs and looks new.