Gen 1 Ls400 Owners - Power Steering Leak W/alternator Issues?

90LS400Lexus

Have you had (or have) a power steering pump leak?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had (or have) a power steering pump leak?

• No, never
    • Yes and with alternator failure
    • Yes, but without alternator failure
    • Reported to NHTSA
    • Did not report to NHTSA
    • Who cares / whats the use?

This question is for gen 1 LS400 owners. As an LS400 owner of two different LS400s since 2003, I am well aware of the power steering pump leak issues which also lead to potential alternator failures.

I am currently having the power steering leak woes (mine is leaking internally and externally). Also, for the past several months, my "brake" light is occasionally illuminated -normally its dimly on. I was told this was probably early signs on alternator failure. I inspected and I cannot visually see where there is ANY fluid leaking down on the alternator from my power steering, but maybe it is.

I am wondering just how many here have or have had power steering pump leak issues, leading to alternator failure.

I went to NHTSA and seen where some people have reported this as a safety issue. I am amazed more has not reported this to NHTSA. I reported it. I know these are old cars, but some were leaking even when not that old and had Lexus placed the alternator differently, or gaurded it, then the PS pump leaks would not have also caused alternator issues. I have seen a couple of LS400s with fires in this area, probably where the alternator shorted out because they were full of fluid. :rolleyes:

Some other NHTSA complaints I seen that wer filed were - seat belts not retracting, tons of reports of the failing instrument clusters, HVAC displays and oddly, TWO reports of engine fires starting with the car stopped (alternator shorting out?) and the cars lurching out without no foot on the accelerator. Also, the beloved trunk hinge issue was addressed highly.

Do you consider the power steering leaks leading to the alternator failures something that should be reported to NHTSA?

Well, I was having problems with the poll and did not add what all I wanted to and I reported my problem to NHTSA, but it removed my vote for some reason and I cannot go back and add it.

I also wanted to know if your problem has been repaired and if you have ever reported any other problem to NHTSA....

I guess I never regarded the power steering pump issue as a safety issue even though a leak once lead to an alternator failure that caused my previous gen 1 LS400 to coast to a stop while driving on an interstate highway. I was lucky to coast down an exit ramp and into a gas station although the car was hard to steer and brake.

After the above described failure, I learned to monitor the power steering pump closely and have it rebuilt or replaced at the first sign of a leak. I probably should have made a guard for the alternator from a plastic bottle to prevent leading power steering fluid from getting on it -- there have been photos of such a guard on this forum in the past.

IMO, it is a waste of time trying to start some sort of movement to get this problem reported to NHTSA. It seems way too late now that the last gen 1 LS400 is 15 model years old.

I would certainly encourage those with a gen 1 LS400 to make a leak guard for their alternator.

yeah i've gone thru 2 alts due to power steering and one because i used the wrong sealant on my valve cover gasket (oil). i've also heard that you can use a bottle of clorox and place that around the alt to protect from leakage. my suggestion... buy a $1 hose from your favorite auto parts store and replace the old one. you can use and power steering hose and it will work fine. i remember when i first got my car and thought i had to buy an expensive hose replacement from the dealer or online just to get the return hose and could see PS fluid all over the pass side of the engine bay. could also see the fluid seeping out of the dry rotted hose. replaced and the engine bay is dry as the desert. if you really must you can also take off the heat shield on the hose but it's not necessary. the main cause of this has been discussed on this forum being the Rack and Pinion solenoid filter being clogged and causing pressure to build up. very easy fix, just do a search. also make sure you get a alt with a lifetime warranty so if it does go bad you can just swap it out. My high pressure hose is still leaking but that is around the oil pan and will not affect the driveability so it is not a big concern for me.

as for the seat belts i know my pass motor is out but the car is 19 yrs old so what can i expect. also you can get them from toyota for cheap.

and the lurching car issue is a result of the throttle cable not being properly adjusted. very simple fix also. lots of info on the forums about this too.

the wiring harness is a big problem though, as is the instrument cluster. luckly mine has not broken but i feel for those whose have. and the climate control blackout is not that bad either at least it still works.

but i feel you on getting these problems addressed. i would suggest maybe addressing Lexus directly about these issues as their reputation is on the line. most of these problems are simple but affect multiple owners. if you have everyone get together and send emails to Lexus corporate about these issues you would probly get a better response than going thru the NHTSA.

• 6 months later...

Hi Mate.

I have the said problem where the PS fluid is leaking. I once blow up my alternator and it was full of PS oil. just wanting some inside on how to fix the leak as i don't want a mechanic to take me for a ride.

Cheers

Kev

yeah i've gone thru 2 alts due to power steering and one because i used the wrong sealant on my valve cover gasket (oil). i've also heard that you can use a bottle of clorox and place that around the alt to protect from leakage. my suggestion... buy a $1 hose from your favorite auto parts store and replace the old one. you can use and power steering hose and it will work fine. i remember when i first got my car and thought i had to buy an expensive hose replacement from the dealer or online just to get the return hose and could see PS fluid all over the pass side of the engine bay. could also see the fluid seeping out of the dry rotted hose. replaced and the engine bay is dry as the desert. if you really must you can also take off the heat shield on the hose but it's not necessary. the main cause of this has been discussed on this forum being the Rack and Pinion solenoid filter being clogged and causing pressure to build up. very easy fix, just do a search. also make sure you get a alt with a lifetime warranty so if it does go bad you can just swap it out. My high pressure hose is still leaking but that is around the oil pan and will not affect the driveability so it is not a big concern for me.

as for the seat belts i know my pass motor is out but the car is 19 yrs old so what can i expect. also you can get them from toyota for cheap.

and the lurching car issue is a result of the throttle cable not being properly adjusted. very simple fix also. lots of info on the forums about this too.

the wiring harness is a big problem though, as is the instrument cluster. luckly mine has not broken but i feel for those whose have. and the climate control blackout is not that bad either at least it still works.

but i feel you on getting these problems addressed. i would suggest maybe addressing Lexus directly about these issues as their reputation is on the line. most of these problems are simple but affect multiple owners. if you have everyone get together and send emails to Lexus corporate about these issues you would probly get a better response than going thru the NHTSA.

I have a 94LS Gen 1 that has had no problems with the P/S leak, and subsequent Alt failure. 121,000 miles. Did have the leaky water pump/timing belt problem that cost me a bundle, however.

But I know its going to happen. I check my garage floor every couple of days for any sign of a leak, plus check the fluid, too.. It sucks, for sure. So I'm thinking of trading it in for a new car, with all the rebates, incentives, and the Cash for Clunkers deal. My car gets 18 mpg, so it's eligible. I think I can lie to the stealers, and get $4,500 off a new car, and then pull the clunkers deal, and get 9G off. Easy.

But the A/C on the old Lexi will blow you out of the car. And I live in Vegas, where it's 109 right now. I did have to recharge the A/C, but it has been super for 3 months. Rides like it's brand new because we don't have freezing weather, potholes, rain or snow or ice or salt. So I'm conflicted. The Clunkers deal lasts until December, so I have a little time. What do you think??