K&n Air Filter, Anyone Using One ?

Just wondering if anyone is using a K&N air filter and if they notice any difference over a stock air filter

Thanks

I used to use one in my ES for about three years. There was no difference that I could see in everyday use that would compel me to continue to use one.

Washing and re-oiling was a pain in the azz. If you over oiled it, it caused problems. If you under oiled it then it wouldn't do its job.

It was easier to just replace with a disposable filter annually.

steviej

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I bought a K&N air filter for $50 some dollars about a year ago from www.autoanything.com It came complete with a cleaning kit (which is pretty good deal). The first thing I noticed on my 06 gs300 (rwd) was that the hesitation when i pressed the gas at takeoff was gone! yah boyee! it felt good finally to hit the gas and the power to be there.

However, I heard from a few people that leaving it in there for long periods of time can cause problems, thus i removed it.

Gas mileage suffered a little, but i had more power for sure.

I haven't used it since gas prices started going up, but will start re-using it now that gas prices are down.

Regards,

Ali

In a car like the GS which breaths pretty well already, K&N doesn’t really do much. Most engine management computers cannot take advantage of the higher air flow anyways. For the people that notice better acceleration, it’s due to the fact that you just put in a new air filter or the fact that you just paid $50 for an air filter :) One thing I did notice is that it is louder at higher rpm with the K&N, maybe that’s why people think they are getting better acceleration.

I used K&N air filters for 8 years on 3 different sandrails. I would never put a K&N filter on one of my street vehicles.

On a sandrail, makes sense. On a Lexus, I agree, makes no sense. OEM! Absolutely no reason to change!

• 2 weeks later...
I used K&N air filters for 8 years on 3 different sandrails. I would never put a K&N filter on one of my street vehicles.

On a sandrail, makes sense. On a Lexus, I agree, makes no sense. OEM! Absolutely no reason to change!

I use a K&N now in my Lexus. Not really noticeable the difference.

Re-oiling sounds like a pain and problematic, so I'll probably make my next filter OEM

• 3 weeks later...

hello folks,

actually, $50 was cheap for the filter and it didn't break any budgets like a k&n intake would or will be, which reminds me, should i get an intake to power up the gs? i have read & heard that the intake will produce louder sounds (engine growl?? - i don't expect it to sound like a SRT-8 Dodge Challenger) - but i guess i would like to hear it growl a lil bit at the stoplights especially).

the k&N air filter unexpectedly did give me a boost while accelerating from takeoff. this was also evident after i got my throttle body and fuel injection cleaning - first time at 119k miles ... YES, 119k miles!

so maybe that explains why the k&n was so advantageous...since i never had throttle body or fuel injection cleaning done previously, the car lagged. but after the cleaning (used M.O.C) -- the car felt more spirited (we aint talking 425hp worth) !

thanks for the input :cheers:

Ali

• 1 year later...