Ls460 Scheduled Maintenance

I have about 12,000 miles on my 2008 LS460. Is it really necessary to take it to a Lexus dealership for regular service? It seems to me that the price tag for what they do is a bit too high. This car does not seem to need much more in addition to replacing oil and filter, and that should not cost hundreds of dollars. Although I'd like to avoid unreasonable maintenance expenses, I certainly don't want to jeopardize the quality of service and the warranty.

Do you service your LS460 only at Lexus dealerships? Can anyone recommend a high-quality, but less expensive than a dealership, shop for servicing an LS460 in Orange County, CA?

Many thanks!

I can only address your first question with my OWN point of view. I just hit 15K on my 08-460. The dealership charged me a bit over $400 to do all their check list items. I have the LEXUS credit card with many points so the actual out of pocket was almost $150. Regardless of my cost, I do not think twice about taking my car to the dealership for any scheduled maintenance. This is my 3rd LEXUS and I've never taken my cars anywhere else. It has established myself with long standing relationships with this dealership and I know everyone by sight and first name. It has also helped me with getting superior deals on all my cars at trade in time. I purchase these cars with the full knowledge that I will pay a higher charge for maintenance that I could get elsewhere but if it makes me sleep better knowing nobody other than a LEXUS certified tech has touched my car, then that's fine with me.

John

but if it makes me sleep better knowing nobody other than a LEXUS certified tech has touched my car, then that's fine with me.

John

Have you ever taken a close look at those earthlings back in the wash bay?

;->

Whit

I can only address your first question with my OWN point of view. I just hit 15K on my 08-460. The dealership charged me a bit over $400 to do all their check list items. I have the LEXUS credit card with many points so the actual out of pocket was almost $150. Regardless of my cost, I do not think twice about taking my car to the dealership for any scheduled maintenance. This is my 3rd LEXUS and I've never taken my cars anywhere else. It has established myself with long standing relationships with this dealership and I know everyone by sight and first name. It has also helped me with getting superior deals on all my cars at trade in time. I purchase these cars with the full knowledge that I will pay a higher charge for maintenance that I could get elsewhere but if it makes me sleep better knowing nobody other than a LEXUS certified tech has touched my car, then that's fine with me.

John

Good point about Lexus credit card. I didn't think of it before, but I just got approved for the Lexus VS Platium ( I want Signature though), so excited to use now, it can definitely pays itself for most of the oil change and even some major services at the Lexus dealer if you use around $2000 - $3000 a month. I don't think it's that bad, just pay your all your bills with the card and it will add up quick :P

Goldplater, you said you have had 2 Lexuses prior, at what point do you stop bringing them to a Lexus dealer? Or you still have services there regarless of your vehicle age? I'm planning to go elsewhere, like a Toyota dealer after my car hit 100K (still a long way as I only have 14K on it). I think at 100K, it maybe to costly to have it done at the Lexus dealer. Not worth it.

My experience with service at the Lexus dealership is terrible. One of those "earthlings back in the wash bay" smashed up my car! Now I have a loaner, and don't expect to see my car for a week. Stay away from service at the Lexus dealership! It's expensive, and their people don't appear to be competent.

but if it makes me sleep better knowing nobody other than a LEXUS certified tech has touched my car, then that's fine with me.

John

Have you ever taken a close look at those earthlings back in the wash bay?

;->

Whit

My love for always having a new car is not very economically smart by most peoples spending standards but I never go beyond a 3 or 4 year factory warranty period. It depends on what the next redesigned model looks like and how it's initial years performance ratings are.

As I stated previously, I have a long standing relationship with the same dealership. I have just established an agreement with the service director that my scheduled maintenance appointments are ALWAYS worked on by their top trained senior tech. It is a luxury that could probably only come from years of loyalty to the same dealership and without question a high cost. Definetly not a level of attention to service available when shopping for the lowest price on auto repairs.

I can't imagine driving a vehicle for up to 100K miles but given the hourly rate dealerships charge it does become cost prohibitive as the vehicle's age increases and it's trade in value decreases.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the dealership as well. It's just soooo much more convenient. I just bought an 05 ls430 about 4 months ago. Prior to that I had a 96 ls400 for 6 years. I took THAT car to a dealer alternative and to Toyota a couple of times. In that last year, I took it to the dealership. What a difference!!! No waiting around in uncomfortable lobbies. Cleaned and vaccumed car when they're done. A loaner if I need it. Yeah, you pay a little more but I think it evens out. All of those free car washes and internet usage and high end service pays for itself. If you change your oil 3 times a year, you pay about $150 at the dealership. Some other place, you'll probably pay about $90/year. That's just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

It's time for 15k oil change and maintenance for my 2007 LS460, and the fee they charge is over $400...

Not that I can't afford that, but considering what they do I think it's too excessive. Other mom n pop shops will do the same for under $150...

It's Lexus... what can actually go wrong?

It all depends. The $400 includes a Lexus loaner which may or may not be important to you, and the security and value of an uninterrupted Lexus dealer service history...

Thats why I used the dealer for all those years...I have it serviced at an independent now.

I think it depends on what's valuable to you. When you add up the cost of a rental car; the carwash; the cup of coffee etc. the ~$50 premium the dealer charges for the oil change is something of a wash. Also it's faster so you have to figure how much is that time worth to you?

However a lot of dealers seem to be adding 'inspections' and 'checks' which I suspect mostly pad their bottom line. Dealers are run by human beings; not by devils or by angels. Some are great; some suck. It definitely pays to shop around and do your homework.

Also a fair amount of dealership service work is warranty work that gets billed back to Lexus so they have less of an incentive to figure out cost effective ways to resolve issues. They tend to advocate replace replace replace instead of other less costly options.

I suspect though that as cars become more complicated the indie options will start to peter out for certain things. My indie has already said they won't change the timing belt on my LS; they claim that particular engine is too complicated for them (???!!). I also had to reset the VSC system after they changed an oxygen sensor recently (thanks to the lovely people on this forum I was able to do that myself). I'm going to shop around the local dealers and will I might suck it up and might have to pony up the extra cash for them to do it when the time comes; depending on how much more it costs.

It all depends. The $400 includes a Lexus loaner which may or may not be important to you, and the security and value of an uninterrupted Lexus dealer service history...

Thats why I used the dealer for all those years...I have it serviced at an independent now.

It's time for 15k oil change and maintenance for my 2007 LS460, and the fee they charge is over $400...

Not that I can't afford that, but considering what they do I think it's too excessive. Other mom n pop shops will do the same for under $150...

Just did a 30k service on my LS430, Charge was $559, Change of all cabin filters, oil, and under hood filters.. Some other things, and full scan of error codes. Just the scan is $85 at the local Toyota dealer. Loaner for 6 hours, ( got a massage, on my dime) and a day trip to the dealer 200+ miles from my home. Nice day, Nice car, Nice trip, Only thing that bothers me is the sign in the cashier office that said "Labor $129.95/HR"

They did tell me, that the local Toyota dealer can do the in between oil and filter changes..

The one thing I got was a 4cyl Camry loaner, and will never consider buying one of those weak running cars. I think I also got a bit of an education while listening to the other customers sitting in the lounge. Funny what you hear when people don't think you are awake. (that massage was relaxing) LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a 30k service on my LS430, Charge was $559, Change of all cabin filters, oil, and under hood filters.. Some other things, and full scan of error codes. Just the scan is $85 at the local Toyota dealer. Loaner for 6 hours, ( got a massage, on my dime) and a day trip to the dealer 200+ miles from my home. Nice day, Nice car, Nice trip, Only thing that bothers me is the sign in the cashier office that said "Labor $129.95/HR"

They did tell me, that the local Toyota dealer can do the in between oil and filter changes..

The one thing I got was a 4cyl Camry loaner, and will never consider buying one of those weak running cars. I think I also got a bit of an education while listening to the other customers sitting in the lounge. Funny what you hear when people don't think you are awake. (that massage was relaxing) LOL

I just changed engine oil with filter at a local repair shop for $100 + tips.

I paid for 10 qts of Mobile 1 5W-30s and generic oil filter. It looks fairly easy to do it. Maybe I want to try next time.

BTW, the filter cap is made out of plastic (?). so you need a right tool to open it if you don't want to break it.

I saved about $300 and I'm buying two Miura Wedges.

Justin

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I don't think the dealer is that expensive. I have had 2 ls460s, an 07 and an 08. different mileage oil changes cost different amounts, but a basic one through Eskridge Lexus in OKC is 65.00--about the same as instant oil places when you get the better oil. My next one will be 400, but that include alignment, and lots of other things.

A couple stories about the local dealer I have experienced, I took my 08 to them because it had a strong gas smell, it was out of warranty and they found a crack in the fuel line coming from the gas tank and they fixed it for free and I was very happy and surprised

secondly, I had a flat on one tire and took it to Discount Tire to get it fixed. they said it was unfixable and a new tire was 400 installed. I decided to run it by the dealer who confirmed that the tire could not be fixed--but the tire was only 300 installed. once again, thumbs up for the Dealer.

I have had several cars in the past when I was having repair work that I would get quoted through a "budget shop" and then call the dealer, and lots of time the dealer was the same cost or cheaper than the indepenant shops. I have learned the hard way that while we may perceive the dealer to be more expensive, its not always the case-(I will admit that on my BMW and Mercedes, the dealers have always been higher than other reputable shops, while my fords and chevy often the dealer is cheaper

• 1 month later...

"A typical 45,000 mile Lexus Scheduled Maintenance service will include a lot of things, but an increased focus on the ignition system will occur. Spark plugs, starter contacts, and the like will be pored over in detail by our expert technicians. Anything amiss will be reported to you, and you can rest easy knowing that we will never try to sell you on a part or service that you don’t need. "

I've checked the price for my car (rx 350, about 40000 miles) and got a cost about $200.. not sure if it's a good price, i own this car only for 2 months..

​All i did with it is fixing ignition and re-keying the doors. by the way if you need a good locksmith service these guys are great http://www.locksmithnjlocksmith.com/car-locksmith.html

If anyone can help me with advise about maintenance I'll be very grateful..)

I find it interesting, customer loyalty is good when problems happen in the future. I have seen repairs on transmission (RX series) at 1/2 or less price wise for loyal customers. However I have had such bad experience with my local Lexus dealership I wouldn't let them touch my grandkids wagon. Service is given when service is good. I found a ex-Toyota mechanic that is not only honest, but extremely diligent. I have watched his abilities up close and asked him why he left Toyota dealership, and he said he was tired of being forced to make repairs that weren't necessary. In every trade there is good and bad, but to make sure I have had proper service I have performed it myself, however as I get younger, I have found that I don't enjoy it. Hence the local mechanic that I trust. My wife was shocked when I took my truck in for ball joints and control arms.... That being said I have always been on the lookout for lying at the dealerships by service writers etc. I have told many a customer that what the writers just told them is crap. I prefer honest business people and than they deserve my dollar. Lexus is very expensive no matter how you cut it. The local Toyota dealership received my business on my RX400h when it failed and they were honest and much cheaper. Their parts department is superb, giving huge discounts and I shop them for all fluids and parts that I need. $400 for a service is ridiculous expecially when most of the items are fluff. Really!!! checked the bolts on the drive shaft (yea they looked at them with a glance when they dumped the oil). That $400 oil change was about $380 in profit.