About To Buy An 06 Gs300, Need Some Info Please

I am about to buy a 2006 GS300 with 16,000 miles for $33,500. It has a number of options including Nav and wood insert steering wheel. I am replacing a 1995 HOnda Accord EX that we have owned since new and the Honda and the Lexus will be driven by my wife 100 percent of the time. I some info

1. For the same price I can get a new leftover 2008 IS250 with Nav. Is the 2006 a better choice since I plan on keeping either one for at least 10 years ?

2. If I go for the GS300, Is it worth getting an extended LEXUS warranty ?

3. How do I tell if I have the Mark Levinson radio ? Salesman says it does, but I cant find any name on the radio face.

4. Other than the rattles that I have read about on this forum, is there any other problems with the car as far as reliability, etc ?

5. What is the true gas mileage it gets on the highway and on city streets.

6. I live in New York and we test drove the car the other day in packed snow. We stopped on a small slope and it had a very hard time with traction. I believe it is the Bridgestone Protenza tires. They are not the run flats. Tirerack rates them poorly, but I dont know if it was the car or the tires that did not impress me. Any comments on how the car performs in snow and what type of tires are you using.

7. Since I dont have a manual, what does the switch in the center console do that says ECT/SNO ?

Again, my wife is undecided between the 06 GS and the 08 IS250. I know they are completely different but I am more concerned with long term reliabilty and comfort. Again remember that the GS has 16,000 miles and the IS is new.

Thanks

I am about to buy a 2006 GS300 with 16,000 miles for $33,500. It has a number of options including Nav and wood insert steering wheel. I am replacing a 1995 HOnda Accord EX that we have owned since new and the Honda and the Lexus will be driven by my wife 100 percent of the time. I some info

1. For the same price I can get a new leftover 2008 IS250 with Nav. Is the 2006 a better choice since I plan on keeping either one for at least 10 years ?

3. How do I tell if I have the Mark Levinson radio ? Salesman says it does, but I cant find any name on the radio face.

4. Other than the rattles that I have read about on this forum, is there any other problems with the car as far as reliability, etc ?

6. I live in New York and we test drove the car the other day in packed snow. We stopped on a small slope and it had a very hard time with traction. I believe it is the Bridgestone Protenza tires. They are not the run flats. Tirerack rates them poorly, but I dont know if it was the car or the tires that did not impress me. Any comments on how the car performs in snow and what type of tires are you using.

7. Since I dont have a manual, what does the switch in the center console do that says ECT/SNO ?

Again, my wife is undecided between the 06 GS and the 08 IS250. I know they are completely different but I am more concerned with long term reliabilty and comfort. Again remember that the GS has 16,000 miles and the IS is new.

Thanks

I think you can beat them up on price, given the economy. I paid (overpaid I think) $35,500 for that exact car about 6 months ago except it was an awd. Every option except radar cruise and parking sensors. Mine had 20k on the clock. only 16k on a 2006? That is extrememly low mileage, but I wouldn't pay a penny over $30,000.

You'll see other people post here that you can get that car for $25,000 or even less. I dunno, apparently some people have access to a secret supply of used GS3's that are $10,000 below Kbb.

Thanks

I think you can beat them up on price, given the economy. I paid (overpaid I think) $35,500 for that exact car about 6 months ago except it was an awd. Every option except radar cruise and parking sensors. Mine had 20k on the clock. only 16k on a 2006? That is extrememly low mileage, but I wouldn't pay a penny over $30,000.

You'll see other people post here that you can get that car for $25,000 or even less. I dunno, apparently some people have access to a secret supply of used GS3's that are $10,000 below Kbb.

It is an AWD. I checked thier carfax and says only one owner. It did have the front and rear pads replaced and rotors cut when the dealer got it in Nov of this year. I figure the low mileage and the fact that it needed brakes front and back, means it was probably used in the city or short trips with alot of braking.

Thanks

It is an AWD. I checked thier carfax and says only one owner. It did have the front and rear pads replaced and rotors cut when the dealer got it in Nov of this year. I figure the low mileage and the fact that it needed brakes front and back, means it was probably used in the city or short trips with alot of braking.

My other concern was the fact that when the dealer got it in November, they replaced both the front pads and rear pads and resurfaced all the rotors and installed two new tires.

The car only has 16,000 miles on it and it leads me to beleive it was probably used for local driving or city driving since all the brakes at to be replaced at such low mileage.

I checked their carfax and it shows one owner, leased and only had the routine maintenace done each year.

Also,

Thanks

My other concern was the fact that when the dealer got it in November, they replaced both the front pads and rear pads and resurfaced all the rotors and installed two new tires.

The car only has 16,000 miles on it and it leads me to beleive it was probably used for local driving or city driving since all the brakes at to be replaced at such low mileage.

I checked their carfax and it shows one owner, leased and only had the routine maintenace done each year.

Also,

I had my rear rotors resurfaced under warranty, at about 23k. I have 25.5k on it now. It's a pretty heavy car, which i think tends to cause early rotor warp. I wish i had a GS 350 rear wheel drive. But in the Northeastern corridor, most of them are awd.

my tires are General UHP, non original. I think most people replace the horrible OEM Dunlop runflats, because they are noisy, make the ride stiff, and don't stick well. So dont worry about tire replacement, be glad the runflats are gone.

btw, i have several irritating creaks squeaks rattles etc that do not belong in what was a $50,000 car 2 years ago. I've bitched about it here a lot. Dealer just says, 'we've done everything we can'. I did have the right a pillar clonk fixed. but i think it's back. You really hear them moving slowly around town. It's very frustrating, one of the reasons I went with Lexus was to avoid those kinds of problems, because i really hate that in a car. It's a good highway car, very quiet, and you dont hear the rattles.

overall though, after 6 months, i have to say the GS kind of underwhelms. Things I like best:

Styling. I dont think the motoring press gave Lexus Nearly enough credit here. This is a very, very elegant swoopy looking car inside and out. I get compliments all the time. I think it's 100% better looking than the M, the 5, the RL, the A 6 and the Cadillac STX.

I like the engine / 6 speed auto trans combo. It is silky smooth, no matter what the conditions. I can get over 30 mpg highway, but in the most brutal city conditions, (long lights, endless stop and go) I'm honestly at 16.5. Which sucks, I See 430/460 owners claiming 20 around town. I may as well have gone for the V8.

Also, 258 hp is 50 hp shy of where it should be. You would do well to find an 07 350, but i saw in consumer reports that the 07 350 awd had a poor reliablity record.

The nav/ML are very nicely executed, would not be the same car without them.

But dislikes are pretty strong, and they grow more annoying each time I drive it. The aforementioned rattles. The lack of power, there is a moderately musty smell when the A/C has not been run, the climate control takes 3 clicks more than you need to adjust, the hidden buttons in the pod are gimmicky and it gets old having to open the little door every time. There's not a lot of passenger room, but i can livewith that, I wanted a good looking car, and so I pay the price.

mostly if it didn't rattle, I would be a lot happier with it.

Thanks

1. It all depends on what you are looking for. The IS and GS are two different cars. Given you experience in question 6, look at an IS 250 AWD (what price is that new.) Evidentally the GS is not the AWD version. As for price, consult KBB.com or vehix.com to see what dealerships should be getting for the same car with the same options in you area.

2. It all depends on the extended warranty you intend to get, what you have to pay out of pocket, what the plan covers, what you deductable is and how well you maintain your vehicle before the warrantly goes into effect. Personally, I have no need for extended warranties. They will cost me more than I will put into the car. However, keep in mind that one pricey service after the regular warrantly expires can be the price of the entire extended warratnly plan. So the bottom line is what is it worth to you to have piece of mind.

3. It will say Mark Levinson right on the face plate around the NAV screen.

4. you can look on www.alldata.com to get a list of all TSBs that have come out. There is one major one concerning an awful noise upon cold start and there has only been one recall for a fuel rail fix.

5. I have a 2006 GS300 AWD and get about 22-23 mpg around town and I can hit 30 mpg on all out highway cruising. The ECT selector is in the normal position. Mpg will be lower if you use the Power setting.

6. Tires can make or break a good vehicle. I am a firm believer of having a set of quality all season radials that are above average in the snow. If your car is RWD and you live in snow country, then I would say a dedicated set of winter snow tires is an absolute must.

7. The ECT switch controls the transmission. The snow setting is just that, for snow. It limits the revs of the engine to provide more torque and hopefully limit wheel spin.

Your wife need to spend some quality windshield time behind both cars. Reliability should not be an issue since you are dealing with Lexus on both platforms. Each will have its own little quirks but overall, you will still be buying Toyota/Lexus quality. Most dealerships will let you take a car home overnight if you are a serious buyer. In this economy, they want to really make a sale. Take each for an extended period of time and let her decide. The major advantage the GS has over the IS is interior space.

steviej

Thanks

1. It all depends on what you are looking for. The IS and GS are two different cars. Given you experience in question 6, look at an IS 250 AWD (what price is that new.) Evidentally the GS is not the AWD version. As for price, consult KBB.com or vehix.com to see what dealerships should be getting for the same car with the same options in you area.

2. It all depends on the extended warranty you intend to get, what you have to pay out of pocket, what the plan covers, what you deductable is and how well you maintain your vehicle before the warrantly goes into effect. Personally, I have no need for extended warranties. They will cost me more than I will put into the car. However, keep in mind that one pricey service after the regular warrantly expires can be the price of the entire extended warratnly plan. So the bottom line is what is it worth to you to have piece of mind.

3. It will say Mark Levinson right on the face plate around the NAV screen.

4. you can look on www.alldata.com to get a list of all TSBs that have come out. There is one major one concerning an awful noise upon cold start and there has only been one recall for a fuel rail fix.

5. I have a 2006 GS300 AWD and get about 22-23 mpg around town and I can hit 30 mpg on all out highway cruising. The ECT selector is in the normal position. Mpg will be lower if you use the Power setting.

steviej

Man, i wish i could get that kind of city mileage. Do you have a lot of long lights, and have to make short trips? I basically drive back and forth to work, only 10 miles round trip. I dont burn much gas total, fillup 2x per month but as i said i'm barely getting 17 mpg. My ave trip speed is about 20mph. it's painfully slow.

Thanks

Also,

Find a private owner and you'll save a bundle! It took me 4.5 months of looking but it sounds like you may not have that option. The GS300 gets good HWY but the awd does only get avg in city...I went with the 430 due to minimal city mi. penalty..I avg about 19 in 90% hwy...Its a roll of the dice on the warranty...other than minor things nothing is major on these cars from my research and the board can attest to this. Im going to probably buy the plat lexus ext. warr from the FI guy in schreveport sp.? LA just in case.. buts its more for peace of mind and electronics...I have a loaded one with everything but radar cruise...I dont want my navi or tranny in a yr and coming outta pocket. For approx 1800-1900 to me its worth it...You cant go wrong with the GS for comfort over the is...if you need a big seat and plan on having a usable backseat go for the GS.

• 4 weeks later...

If you havent got one yet, avoid the gs 300 and try to find a gs 350 ( 07 0r later models).

Try avoiding the gs altogether and go with the ES the ES is a lot more spacious and quiter than the GS. (only con is no AWD available) get one with ESC and you will never regret like I do .

I am not a big fan of my GS with AWD and noisy run flat tires skids a lot on Snow compared to an ES with no AWD and regular tires and ESC.

what more the mileage is also better and priced $10000 less.

Hi, I just recently bought an 06 GS300 so maybe I can give you some ideas:

As some said, both are great cars so it is really up to you. I personally like the look of the GS better and it is a step above IS. Is the GS300 you are looking at a Lexus-certified car? If not, you might want to reconsider. I would never buy a car that is not backed by the manufacturer.

One of my friends bought a 2000 ES300 and it has never had any kind of problems besides doing regular oil change and it is still going strong. That is really one of the reasons I bought a Lexus over Honda or even BMW--reliability (and service). If you are buying a Lexus (with pre-owned car warranty) then I would suggest saving the money.

With that price, I don't think so. Mark Levinson is a $5000 add-on.

I have no rattling problems at all. The only thing if you buy that car is that you would have to go in for the recall campaigns that recently sent out. Unless you ask them to do the campaigns before closing the deal.

19-20

I can say about those tires but I have the runflat tires (AWD) and they are great. No traction problem at all and believe me, I live in the Midwest where I get tons of snow. You can certainly negotiate to have the tires replaced before closing the deal.

The dealer would be able to teach you (I hope they do a better job than telling you the car has Levinson). It is for extra boast/kick (ECT) when you want to be cool and pass traffic swiftly or have more control in snow (SNO).

My Lexus certified GS300 (32k) has everything except the Levinson audio and I bought it for $27,000 with four new tires so talk it down.

All the best!