Sc400 Starter Starting When Key Is At "on" Position.

soarer400

First, the car had a rough idle, the RPMs would jump from 1k to 2k continually. Then i was trying to see what the problem was with my power steering system, it did not work right. Then, while turning the steering wheel right, left, suddently, the starter started working and the engine stopped ant the same time. When i turn the key to the ON position, the starter is turning the engine and removing the key from the ingnition will not stop the starter until battery is disconnected. and the engine will not start. Remote door lock stopped working.Only 100k miles on the car. I dont know what could be the problems, seeking advice, Thanks

First, the car had a rough idle, the RPMs would jump from 1k to 2k continually. Then i was trying to see what the problem was with my power steering system, it did not work right. Then, while turning the steering wheel right, left, suddently, the starter started working and the engine stopped ant the same time. When i turn the key to the ON position, the starter is turning the engine and removing the key from the ingnition will not stop the starter until battery is disconnected. and the engine will not start. Remote door lock stopped working.Only 100k miles on the car. I dont know what could be the problems, seeking advice, Thanks

Difficult to connect the dots on all that - I doubt there's a common thread through all symptoms. One things sure, the starter solenoid or cables have a serious short circuit thing going on. If turning the wheels left or right caused the starter to hook up, that sounds perhaps like loose starter cables that may have pivoted to a position where they have shorted. Starter solenoid switch with welded contacts (worn out) can cause the symptom of being unable to stop the starter motor without disconnecting the battery. There is no likely connection between power steering, rough idle, not starting, etc. Concentrate on resolving the starter issue (being able to use the key to operate starter) before proceeding to try and sort out the other issues.

Difficult to connect the dots on all that - I doubt there's a common thread through all symptoms. One things sure, the starter solenoid or cables have a serious short circuit thing going on. If turning the wheels left or right caused the starter to hook up, that sounds perhaps like loose starter cables that may have pivoted to a position where they have shorted. Starter solenoid switch with welded contacts (worn out) can cause the symptom of being unable to stop the starter motor without disconnecting the battery. There is no likely connection between power steering, rough idle, not starting, etc. Concentrate on resolving the starter issue (being able to use the key to operate starter) before proceeding to try and sort out the other issues.

I fixed it! The front left grounding rod was dissconnected. Works now. Thanks