02 Lx470 Driveline Clunk?

BBPeik

Hey I have an 02 lx470. When I let off the brake and start to accelerate there is a little clunkin the driveline. I went underneath and inspected everything and all seems well. I took it to the dealer and when I explained the problem , without even inspecting the car they said that it was "Built in driveline play, It is suposed to be there, and it has done that since new and I am just not in tune with my car". Now I have been a mechanic for a long time and am pretty damn sure that there was no clunk a month ago. The dealer is just stupid. What I am wondering is if any of you have experienced the same problem? I am willing to accept that it is driveline play but dont tell me it has done that since new. Freakin dealers

Driveline clunk is common in these SUV's. The most likely fix is to remove the rear driveshaft, take it apart and lube the slip yoke. There is a zirk fitting on the outside but it doesn't lube the slip yoke. Also clean the excess grease inside and of course lube all the U-joints while down there.

BBPeik, I have the same sound in my '00 LX470. It started about 7 months ago and is still there. Dealer said same thing, now I am not a Certified mechanic, but I have been a Gearhead for some time. I almost thought that mine was coming from the drivetrain/tranny. It is still there today I just dont take off as fast.

Does anyone else have this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a slight clunk in mine, always has been. However, it sounds like you are talking about an irritating level sound. This has been discussed a lot on a landcruiser site and hoser has conveyed the solution. If the driveshaft has not been regularly lubed, it tends to get hardened and when attempting to "catch up" by adding fresh lube, it will not get to the needed area. The best solution is to do as hoser said, clean out the old and start fresh. To prevent recurrence, many will lube the drive shafts with every other or even each oil change. Once the lube is right, the clunk will return to being a slight one.

Mine also had a slight clunk, funny that is the best description of the sound. I took it to shop at 57k miles and they replaced the entire shaft under warranty. THey said it would have been $800 otherwise (seemed low considering most Lexus repairs :P )

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just posted an update with PDF versions of the technical service bulletins under the Thump thread.

We have a very similar problem with our 2003 LX 470. I just posted on the following page to see if the TSB on the GX 470 applies to the LX model: Clunk Fix with new TSB. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jason Havens

Destin, FL

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I have an 02 lx470. When I let off the brake and start to accelerate there is a little clunkin the driveline. I went underneath and inspected everything and all seems well. I took it to the dealer and when I explained the problem , without even inspecting the car they said that it was "Built in driveline play, It is suposed to be there, and it has done that since new and I am just not in tune with my car". Now I have been a mechanic for a long time and am pretty damn sure that there was no clunk a month ago. The dealer is just stupid. What I am wondering is if any of you have experienced the same problem? I am willing to accept that it is driveline play but dont tell me it has done that since new. Freakin dealers

I have my second LX 470..the first was a 2000 without the "Drive Shaft" issue and it was fine.

Then I ordered a new LX 470 in 2005 and now I am on my FOURTH "Drive Shaft" because of the "clunt" that occurs. Lexus has replaced all four and ultimately told me it a manufacuring problem and they did not actually manufacture the area themselves, but used an outside source. Because the car was under warrenty they replaced it. I then bought an extended warrenty to cover the problem if it would recurr and they (after many months of argument and proving to them I am a good customer and after the dealership got behind) replaced it while it was still under the extended warrenty to 100,000 miles. Now, I am on my own and don't have problems for the last 3,000 mile over the 100,000, but I would expect it to recur.

All the best to you.

Ed Stein

stcpod@mail.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The new drive shaft has lube in the slip yoke. The lube tends to harden with time and prevents grease added from the zerk from getting to the slip yoke. The clunk can get rather irritating - when coming to a stop as well as taking off. When properly lubed, there is a slight engagement feel. Without effective lubing, the thump/clunk can be quite irritating. I drove a used LX for sale at a dealer that was more than slight - it had received regular dealer maintenance, but lubing the driveshaft may not be high on their list to do instead of just "check.".

• Like 1