Not Running On All Cylinders

rongermany

Last week I lost power (coil went out). Mechanic changed out the caps, wires, and plugs. Also they changed both ignition coils. 2 days after getting it back, I run into the same problem.

Any ideas what could be the problem here?

I read in another thread that someone had a similar problem and said they had "jumped timing". I'm not sure what that means.

the timing belt has four marks on it. the crank sprocket is half the diameter of the cam sprockets, meaning on two crank rotations the cam rotates once. this is TDC (top dead center) and is used to time your engine. your crank, cams and a fourth mark on belt should line up when the crank is at TDC. if the marks do not line up correctly then your belt has skipped a tooth and the engine timing is slightly retarded. you should have a CEL (check engine light). if not then you have another problem. you can check to see if any engine codes are stored using the tutorial on lexls.com. your car will run with the timing belt timing being off. sounds like you've got another problem. what causes the problem? are you driving fast? turning? hitting the brakes? does it happen at night? did your mechanic use OEM parts or bosch (which is considered inferior quality) can you restart the car? how many miles? does the engine die or does the car die (big difference). please provide more details and we should be able to help you figure it out.

Your mechanic is throwing parts at it. What was the fault - a bad ignition coil? And it would be one only, they don't fail in pairs. So does he think they were both bad? Or that all eight spark plugs were bad? Or all eight ignition wires, and caps? What was the fault he corrected, not how many parts he replaced.

It could be the timing belt has jumped. Even if it has, that's a simple diagnosis.

My thoughts are that he didn't in fact correct the original problem. Watch him - he obviously likes replacing parts.

SRK is right. Coils don't fail in pairs and at the same time. Were you given or did you ask for the parts that were replaced? Did you ask for a written est at the start? Is this a mechanic you trust and who has been servicing your car for some time?

Here's a post I made on another thread that might help you with some of these consderations any time your car requires service:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=343752

Thanks for the suggestions. I trust this shop but their Lexus expertise is minimal, which I believe was part of the problem with the original diagnosis. He did show me all of my old parts. I took it back into him after I had the problem again and he said that it is now running fine, and he really didn't do anything but "check connections" and something seemed to fix it.

He has a year warranty on parts and labor and since he replaced so much I should be covered for awhile. He wants me to drive it for a couple of hundred miles and check back in with him.

Hopefully I won't have the problem again.

Thanks