Rx 400h Handling In Snow?

Was recently on a wet dirt (forest service) road that was flat but wet; my new 2008 RX400h fishtailed almost uncontrollably at 10-15 mph. Had the computers checked the next week and all read "good to go." Wondering/worrying about how it will handle in the Sierra snow in a couple of days. It's all-wheel drive and is supposed to be good in the snow, yes? Any experience/advice to illuminate this apparent conundrum?

The main difference between a 2-wheel drive vehicle stuck in the snow and a 4-wheel drive vehicle stuck in the snow is that a 4-wheel drive vehicle gets to spin all four wheels while stuck.

If you are worried about getting around in the snow, get a set of real snow tires -- they usually have a mountain/snowflake logo on the side walls --> http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Maybe I've had more practice driving in heavy snow than most people where I now live, but I've routinely noticed that my rear wheel drive 00 LS with four heavy duty (not "winter performance") Blizzak snow tires gets around better than most 4WD vehicles with all-season tires.

Was recently on a wet dirt (forest service) road that was flat but wet; my new 2008 RX400h fishtailed almost uncontrollably at 10-15 mph. Had the computers checked the next week and all read "good to go." Wondering/worrying about how it will handle in the Sierra snow in a couple of days. It's all-wheel drive and is supposed to be good in the snow, yes? Any experience/advice to illuminate this apparent conundrum?

Like Jim was saying, tires really have more to do with your snow-handling than any other factor.

You did mention that your RX is AWD and our 2006 RX400h AWD is very predictable and stable in several inches of snow, even with mediocre Bridgestone Duelers.

I will say this about mud: even in my Jeep Rubicon, the worst traction I have ever had was on a Forest service road on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. The road was flat and wet and non-challenging and the mud was fine and sticky. This sticky mud filled the lugs on my mud terrain tires almost instantly and I was suddenly driving on what acted like ice. Moral to this story? Mud sucks. Snow sucks less (until it becomes ice).

If you are heading over some of the high passes in the sierra and you dont have snow tires like Blizzaks, you can pick up a set of chains for the front tires to have for peace of mind. If you get chains, don't go cheap. Get decent quality ones so they dont come apart and flog your RX.

I think you will feel confident in your AWD RX once you get into the snow. Once you find snow, go to a parking lot and try the RX out! See if you can get it to spin. I think you will be surprised how well it does.

Snow tires are the key! See my multiple posts on the 400h's performance in winter conditions. A new set of Blizzaks will alleviate your concerns.

Do you swap tires fall and spring or have another set of snow rims?

While people like us who live in snow 4-6 months a year may find it worthwhile to have dedicated snow tires, I think al_adams is in a different boat and only heads for the snow infrequently. In his case, I can't see having snow tires put on as a resonable expense. In his case, I think that being careful and having chains just in case should work.

I have not used snow tires here in Toronto for over 30 years. Most of my cars are front wheel drive with 4 season tires. My last one was M-B ML320 which never needed snow tires (and I drove it for 9 years here in Toronto.) There are lots of snow here, especially on my side street, and my ML320 just plow through. Well, I traded it in for Rx400h, and the first snow, I feel insecure, and slippery. So I went out and bought 4 Blizzaks. Now it drives like my old ML320. I would buy these Blizzaks for the trip and keep it or sell them later on. No need to buy rims, just have them change over the new snow tires.

The AWD systems in our 400h's are a joke compared to "real" AWD systems from the likes of Audi, Jeep, and Range Rover.

Only the rear electric motor powers the rear wheels, there's no center differential. The computer is supposed to "sense" conditions and apply power accordingly but it gets confused when in the extreme slop an basically shuts down. Some people have had better experience than I just described but they know how to drive in the slop and have dedicated snow tires.

If you really need true AWD, get a different car.

The main difference between a 2-wheel drive vehicle stuck in the snow and a 4-wheel drive vehicle stuck in the snow is that a 4-wheel drive vehicle gets to spin all four wheels while stuck.

. . . . . snip

Maybe I've had more practice driving in heavy snow than most people where I now live, but I've routinely noticed that my rear wheel drive 00 LS with four heavy duty (not "winter performance") Blizzak snow tires gets around better than most 4WD vehicles with all-season tires.

Both statements are very true. Much of curvy/hilly ice driving (that's really the worst that it gets) all depends on practice practice practice ... and excelent tires. Thank God Montana still allows studs. As for your 4-wheel drive getting stuck statement ~ put another way, I've heard "a 4x4 let's you get stuck an extra 30' farther down the road" :P

I wish I still had the picture of my '76 jeep cj5 at the bottom of a shallow mine shaft ... it's a great illustration of that point.

Snow tires are the key! See my multiple posts on the 400h's performance in winter conditions. A new set of Blizzaks will alleviate your concerns.

Yes! Get a set of Pirellis Scoprion Ice/Snow in 255/50/18 size, you can even get them used on ebay for $50 a tire. You will notice a world of difference.

the factory micilens are GARBAGE!! they should be rated as low rolling resistance luxury cruising tires that serve no purpose in the rain/snow.

they are on tire rack for around $150 a tire if all else fails, a wise investment!

The AWD systems in our 400h's are a joke compared to "real" AWD systems from the likes of Audi, Jeep, and Range Rover.

Only the rear electric motor powers the rear wheels, there's no center differential. The computer is supposed to "sense" conditions and apply power accordingly but it gets confused when in the extreme slop an basically shuts down. Some people have had better experience than I just described but they know how to drive in the slop and have dedicated snow tires.

If you really need true AWD, get a different car.

Our AWD system leaves much to be desired - no center diff lockup, no full time awd, basically a FWD card 99% of the time!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

we have had a week of snow here in seattle with none of it melting overnight as it usually does. my 400h came with the goodyears and i replaced them this fall with the oem michelins. i know they are not everyones favorite here but the improvement in snow handling was incredible. (yes i know the goodyears were the worst in snow with thier low profile) i drove hundreds of miles this last week up and down our hills and did not get stuck or feel out of control ( well out of control once,) of course in pc seattle the city refuses to use salt, only sand and some kind of dairy product (really) on the bus routes, however i was able to travel side roads as easily as the sanded arterials. just my two cents

we have had a week of snow here in seattle with none of it melting overnight as it usually does. my 400h came with the goodyears and i replaced them this fall with the oem michelins. i know they are not everyones favorite here but the improvement in snow handling was incredible. (yes i know the goodyears were the worst in snow with thier low profile) i drove hundreds of miles this last week up and down our hills and did not get stuck or feel out of control ( well out of control once,) of course in pc seattle the city refuses to use salt, only sand and some kind of dairy product (really) on the bus routes, however i was able to travel side roads as easily as the sanded arterials. just my two cents

Ha, I just bought a 2006 RX-400h because of this snowstorm. I had a friend give me a lift because my BMW 325i was stuck in the snow. And the wife's SLK has been high and dry in our garage waiting this weather out. I fell in love with his RX, so I went out and bought one. Oh, well, it may not be the best AWD, but I think it will be OK for what passes for bad weather in Seattle.

• 4 weeks later...

How far up in NE do you live? On your advice thought we might get Blizzaks for our new 400h puchase. What model Blizzaks and rims do you suggest? ThanksAdvice for snow tires/rims 400h

I'm in the middle of NH and we currently have 2' of snow on the ground w/another 9-12" expected this week. I purchased my Blizzaks from Tire Rack and bought dedicated alloys for the snow tires. Because of the heavy use of salt and sand up here, I didn't want to mess up the factory wheels. Tire Rack makes this easy with wheel/tire packages. I have Blizzak DM-Z3's, size 235/65R17. Hope this helps!

I'm in the middle of NH and we currently have 2' of snow on the ground w/another 9-12" expected this week. I purchased my Blizzaks from Tire Rack and bought dedicated alloys for the snow tires. Because of the heavy use of salt and sand up here, I didn't want to mess up the factory wheels. Tire Rack makes this easy with wheel/tire packages. I have Blizzak DM-Z3's, size 235/65R17. Hope this helps!

What do you use for tire pressure sensor?