Need Tech Info For Timing Belt Replacement For Interference Engine

hartman

I need tech info for timing belt replacement for a 1UZ-FE interference engine in a 2000 Lexus LS400. I see several articles throughout the forum for the non-interference engines but not the interference engines such as the 1UZ. A step by step how to would be great. Thanks!

LexLS shared this link with me a while back; a step by step DIY: http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm

This is for a '96, which I think is more or less the same as '00......but welcome comments. What is the difference between '96 and '99? Is it primarily the individual coils on plugs and no caps/rotors?

My '99 only has 62K miles, but I have surpassed the time (7 yrs, right?) interval for the timing belt. I am about to start driving it a lot more, so I am planning to change it just to be safe. Smart, or overkill?

When attacking the timing belt on a '99, I presume it is a good idea to replace the water pump, idler pulleys and tensioner while in there?? Is there anything else that should be considered?

I would inspect cam seals and replace if they're leaking. And as lextreme suggests, I would also clean out all sensors and replace plugs, wires, rotors, caps and air filter.

I will do a search for DIY on cam seals. If anyone has bookmarked a good one, please share.

Spark plugs are a 90K item, so since I only have 62K, I think I will leave them be. I just replaced the air filter a few months back, and I believe that the '99 has coils on each plug and therefore no caps and rotors.

timing_belt.pdf This is for the 2uz on toyota v/8 tundra/sequoia. probably very similiar.

Thanks for the manual pages! They worked for the 1UZ just fine. I didn't have a need to pull the timing belt pulleys from the cams or crank as instructed. I did two things different just by choice. I pulled only the two front bolts from the A/C coompressor and I pulled the P/S pulley instead of the pump because the rear bolts are a pain to get to. I also had no need to pull the splash pan from under the car. All in all as straight forward as any other make/model. A good impact is a must. At a some what relaxed pace its about 6-7 hours.