2001 Ls430 Radio

Bumpa2328

I have a 2001 LS430 with a Mark Levinson radio that will not do anything. I took to the dealer and they said it was the HEAD whatever that is. I then took it to a local radio repair shop, (VERY will respected) they said everything in the dash worked but it was a amplifier in the trunk. It appears that they cannot work on this. I talked to the tec. and he said that this is the main control for the radio but they will not work on it. Nothing I can do will turn on the sound system, no DVD, tape, nothing.

Dealer wants $700.00 +/- for the amp. The Lexus link voice still works when I turn on the ignition, but now I also get a voice that says that an error has been detected. Fuses are OK.

Any suggestions?

If anyone knows where this can be sent to repair I would really appreciate it.

Bumpa

The Lexus Link system has a separate amplifier so your main amp could be dead and the "Your Lexus Link system is not active" message could still be heard.

There could be something awry in the Lexus system that is not releasing the muting signal properly; you can disconnect it if you remove the right side floorboard in the trunk; you'll see a white connector that's zip tied to the floor with another one next to it. Disconnecting the connectors would tell you if the LL system is muting your amp. The Amp itself is on the right side of the trunk behind the liner.

If you need to replace the amp check out fleabay; also there is someone here (DCFISH) I think who can source replacement components.

This shop in Florida repaired my 2000 LS400 Nakamichi head unit earlier this year when the right channel stopped working: http://www.carstereohelp.com/ The repair was quick and "Bob" kept me informed. I highly recommend him.

At least in my case, repair was substantially less expensive than a used head unit radio from eBay. Also, the face of my head unit is cosmetically perfect so I didn't want to risk buying a scratched up used radio.