Ls400 Transmission Malfunction

tonyxs

I have LS400 98, with 66000 miles on it. It all started a couple of weeks ago with 'Check' engine light on and off, then consistent on. Reading the code, it is P0763 - shift Solenoid C malfunction. So I had mechanic take down trans pan and check the Solenoid C. It seems working. So we flushed the transmission oil and replace the oil filer. The light is off at the beginning. But it is getting worse. The transmission gear malfunction sometimes when the car stop then go, or from reverse to forward. The gear is not binding at the beginning, unengaged like at ideal, then give more gas, gear get engaged when you feel the car jerking a little bit. Sometime, I can feel the gear is engaged on and off, on and off, when I just stop at light with my feet step on break and doing nothing. Now the 'Check' engine light on again.

I am frustrated of it. It seems OK before I changed anything, just 'Check' engine light on. But getting worse after I flush the oil and with new filter. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tony

Did you use Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid, and an OEM transmission filter?

Only Type IV is to be used in the LS tranny.

And it's recommended to NOT use a "power flush" type of machine.

I would do the following: P0763 - change the shift Solenoid C which has a malfunction malfunction. It does have a voltage to check, I just do not have my manual on me at the moment. One more thing, make sure your battery is in good condition, you never know. C

Did you use Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid, and an OEM transmission filter?

LOL i have dexron 3 with lube gaurd in it and have had it in there for 3 years...just got back from a 1400 mile trip....although type 4 is recommended by everyone here and im not telling u not to use it....but if u have dexron in it it will not cause the problems u r having....

LOL i have dexron 3 with lube gaurd in it and have had it in there for 3 years...just got back from a 1400 mile trip....although type 4 is recommended by everyone here and im not telling u not to use it....but if u have dexron in it it will not cause the problems u r having....

I just checked with Toyota shop over the weekend and they said Dextron III was fine for my 1990 LS400 in fact they were going to sell me Toyota brand Dextron III. So other than using a newer formula synthetic the Dextron III should be fine for the first gen transmissions.

I just checked with Toyota shop over the weekend and they said Dextron III was fine for my 1990 LS400 in fact they were going to sell me Toyota brand Dextron III. So other than using a newer formula synthetic the Dextron III should be fine for the first gen transmissions.

your mechanic is an idiot and will destroy your transmission. the in the 1,2,3 series LS (that's 89-06) all use the current Toyota Type-IV Transmission Fluid. the earlier models may have originally been shipped with T-II fluid, but the Type-IV fluid is the successor to that and 100% backwards compatible.

Straight Dexron (Note, DexRON, not dexTron) will cause the trans to slip and not function properly.

pure drifter, u have extensive knowledge i will give u that, but i sell parts to auto shops every day of my life and ask many quesions and hear it all....if there is anyone who has resources for the automotive world on this forum ....its me,i have called and talked to the valvoline tech support..... so i will let u know that you need to read up on things before u make someone sound like a fool and call their mechanic an idiot and also correct his spelling.....read up

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr...l.asp?product=6

let me know if this tranny fluid wont work in your lexus and i will call them and let them know they are idiots like his mechanic is....i hope this puts an end to every post ive seen stating that type iv toyota fluid is the only fluid to use

Of course they want to sell they're product.

The tranny is one place you DO NOT want to take any chances with knock-off products. Just like Lexus recommends using Premium Unleaded fuel, and 5W-30 oil. They also recommend using Toyota Type-IV transmission fluid...

Go OEM. You'll have no headaches, and no worries.

We do use Toyota ATF IV fluid, but not sure about filter. Probably not genuine filter.

I think mechanic used power flush to flush the fluid.

Now the error code of 'Check' engine light on is P0715, different from previous P0763.

The mechanic check the Solenoid C (No.3), and looks good. We can hear 'click' sound when apply power, and no air go through when apply the power.

We also check the battery. It has 12 volts and no problem to start engine. But it needs to be replaced. Is it going to be issue of it? Cause it still has 12 v on it. Also the error code is P0715 now of 'Check' engine light on, instead of P0763, a little bit strange for me.

Thanks for help.

Tony

The code will also show if there is a short in the wire harness and the bottom line in the factory manual is always check the ECM

check the wiring harness for shorts, then look at the ECM. if all else fails, replace the solenoid anyways as it's likely not working properly under pressure.

pure drifter, u have extensive knowledge i will give u that, but i sell parts to auto shops every day of my life and ask many quesions and hear it all....if there is anyone who has resources for the automotive world on this forum ....its me,i have called and talked to the valvoline tech support..... so i will let u know that you need to read up on things before u make someone sound like a fool and call their mechanic an idiot and also correct his spelling.....read up

let me know if this tranny fluid wont work in your lexus and i will call them and let them know they are idiots like his mechanic is....i hope this puts an end to every post ive seen stating that type iv toyota fluid is the only fluid to use

python, go back and reread the part where i said "STRAIGHT Dexron Won't work."

what you linked is a product that specifically states it is compatible with Type-IV fluid. go walk into one of those auto shops and say that your trans uses Dexron fluid and im pretty damn sure they won't put in "MaxLife" unless you ask for it. the Maxlife page even specifies that it "contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package" which is not "pure" dexron, although it may be compatible with such.

if you want to start that up, Mobil is the company that supplies Toyota with the Type-IV fluid, and is commercially available through them as JWS 3309.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...l_ATF_3309.aspx

also, the SAME FLUID is crossreferenced to Ford, Volvo, Saab, and others.

i was very specific in what i said, normal everyday Dexroniii/mercon does NOT meet Toyota T-iv requirements, and if his mechanic went and put in "normal" dexron, he is either an idiot, misinformed, or possibly both.

what you linked is a product that specifically states it is compatible with Type-IV fluid. go walk into one of those auto shops and say that your trans uses Dexron fluid and im pretty damn sure they won't put in "MaxLife" unless you ask for it. the Maxlife page even specifies that it "contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package" which is not "pure" dexron, although it may be compatible with such.

if you want to start that up, Mobil is the company that supplies Toyota with the Type-IV fluid, and is commercially available through them as JWS 3309.

i was very specific in what i said, normal everyday Dexroniii/mercon does NOT meet Toyota T-iv requirements, and if his mechanic went and put in "normal" dexron, he is either an idiot, misinformed, or possibly both.

Cool find there about the Mobil ATF 3309. :cheers: That link seems to say that Mobil made this product to the specs of the AT manufacturer, Aisin AW Co. Ltd., (which makes the AT for Lexus, Toyota, ... http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/index.html ). This makes a lot of sense, as I think it's clear to most that having the "right" ATF is important. I guess Toyota then renames it Type-IV (right? are they identical?) and puts a Toyota part number on the AT as well.

If Type-IV = Mobil ATF 3309, can the Mobil be found for any cheaper? I've got 11 quarts of Type-IV sitting in my garage, so I won't need to know any time soon.

This Mobil product does then seem different than that Valvoline MaxLife stuff - the Mobil was developed specifically for these AT's, whereas the Valvoline aims for compatibility across a wide range, including these. Right? Or am I doing a little too much reading between the lines.

Agreed about the dangers of misinformed general mechanics.

I know it's a different car, but when I had a Honda, I was running Valvoline MaxLife in it. It seemed okay. When I needed to change the fluid, I put in Honda brand fluid and it was like installing a new transmission - crisp shifts and nice performance. It didn't harm the transmission to run MaxLife, as it's still working well in a friend's hands. But it definitely worked better with the Honda brand fluid.

My point is, it isn't out of the realm of reason to think that the Toyota fluid would work better than the MaxLife.

Cool find there about the Mobil ATF 3309. :cheers: That link seems to say that Mobil made this product to the specs of the AT manufacturer, Aisin AW Co. Ltd., (which makes the AT for Lexus, Toyota, ... http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/index.html ). This makes a lot of sense, as I think it's clear to most that having the "right" ATF is important. I guess Toyota then renames it Type-IV (right? are they identical?) and puts a Toyota part number on the AT as well.

If Type-IV = Mobil ATF 3309, can the Mobil be found for any cheaper? I've got 11 quarts of Type-IV sitting in my garage, so I won't need to know any time soon.

This Mobil product does then seem different than that Valvoline MaxLife stuff - the Mobil was developed specifically for these AT's, whereas the Valvoline aims for compatibility across a wide range, including these. Right? Or am I doing a little too much reading between the lines.

Agreed about the dangers of misinformed general mechanics.

that's about right, but i do recall reading somewhere that if you traced T-IV all the way up, it was Mobil who made it in the first place. Though Aisin may have made it in house i'm not entirely sure.

do u know of any straight dexron 3 without mercon in it? cuz i dont sell it.....also compatible means it can be used instead of, doesnt mean it can or should only be mixed with...there has been lots of debates be most everyone here stating type iv is the ONLY fluid to use.....and that is not true

do u know of any straight dexron 3 without mercon in it? cuz i dont sell it.....also compatible means it can be used instead of, doesnt mean it can or should only be mixed with...there has been lots of debates be most everyone here stating type iv is the ONLY fluid to use.....and that is not true

Do you even know what Dexron and Mercon are? They are SPECIFICATIONS! meaning, they are not actual fluids or materials or additives, they are lubrication standards. Most fluids on the market meet BOTH the Dexron III (or VI) AND Mercon requirements because they are very similar. why are there TWO different yet separate specs you ask? because General Motors created Dexron (spec 6417-M) and Ford created Mercon (spec M2C185A).

i don't care what debate has occurred, you addressed what I specifically wrote, and I am going to defend my statements using veritable facts and empirical data until you either quit giving dime-store opinions and links or put some actual facts on the table that can back up your claims.

Again, I claim that DexronIII/Mercon compatible transmission fluid is NOT compatible nor recommended in lieu of Toyota T-IV transmission fluid unless it is SPECIFICALLY noted on the fluid that it is compatible.

I know it's a different car, but when I had a Honda, I was running Valvoline MaxLife in it. It seemed okay. When I needed to change the fluid, I put in Honda brand fluid and it was like installing a new transmission - crisp shifts and nice performance. It didn't harm the transmission to run MaxLife, as it's still working well in a friend's hands. But it definitely worked better with the Honda brand fluid.

My point is, it isn't out of the realm of reason to think that the Toyota fluid would work better than the MaxLife.

I tried the dexron 3 once before I knew better. Get that *BLEEP* out of your car's system immediately. It caused my tranny to slip in Reverse and I had it removed after about 1500 miles. Also, having tranny issues at that low mileage is very suspicious and is unheard of for this car. Who owned it before you?

• 1 month later...

A Mobil1 tech told me NOT to use their replacement fluid in my 93 ls400, 150,000 miles. He said if you use it at lower miles when nearly new it's ok. He suggested staying with oem to avoid the possibility of burning out clutches.