Smoke Coming Out Of Timing Cover

Nate L

Hi, it's a little chilly here in Montana. My boy started his 92 es300 this morning and smoke was coming out of the timing belt cover, it smelled like burnt rubber. I figure there must be a belt tensioner pulley that seized up and is causing the problem. Any other ideas. We have yet to buy a manual for his car. Sounds like it may be time......Thank you..Ran

Hi, it's a little chilly here in Montana. My boy started his 92 es300 this morning and smoke was coming out of the timing belt cover, it smelled like burnt rubber. I figure there must be a belt tensioner pulley that seized up and is causing the problem. Any other ideas. We have yet to buy a manual for his car. Sounds like it may be time......Thank you..Ran

Figured out what was causing the smoke, the guy that sold the car to my boy last summer failed to mention that he had worked on the coolant system and had replaced the antifreeze with water. The water pump was froze up and causing the the timing belts to burn. Hopefully it didn't freeze hard enough to break the block.

• 4 weeks later...
Figured out what was causing the smoke, the guy that sold the car to my boy last summer failed to mention that he had worked on the coolant system and had replaced the antifreeze with water. The water pump was froze up and causing the the timing belts to burn. Hopefully it didn't freeze hard enough to break the block.

So what's the latest update? How did you make out?