How To: How Do I Tell If Latest Nav Update Is Worth It?

I have seen lots of questions regarding map updates: are they worth it or not and does the map data include the new data I have been desperately looking for?

Well, I found a cool resource on the Lexus site that helps you figure out all of this information before you drop 300 of your hard-earned duckets on a new map disc.

1. Go to Lexus.com

2. Click the "Owners - My Lexus" link in the botton left of the Lexus page.

3. Log in to your My Lexus account.

4. Click on "Manage Vehicles".

5. In the Blue box at the top, click on the link "Navigation Map Feedback".

Here is the cool part!

-The "Release Notes" in PDF format tells you exactly what was changed for your area.

-The "Map Preview" selection lets you clunk around the new version to see if the map looks right.

-The "Submit Feedback" link allows you to report bad addresses roads or POI to the map people.

Hopefully, this will help you decide if the update is actually worth it!

~Brian

I have seen lots of questions regarding map updates: are they worth it or not and does the map data include the new data I have been desperately looking for?

Well, I found a cool resource on the Lexus site that helps you figure out all of this information before you drop 300 of your hard-earned duckets on a new map disc.

1. Go to Lexus.com

Here is the cool part!

-The "Release Notes" in PDF format tells you exactly what was changed for your area.

-The "Map Preview" selection lets you clunk around the new version to see if the map looks right.

-The "Submit Feedback" link allows you to report bad addresses roads or POI to the map people.

~Brian

Billy, I was wondering why I had to go to another site (Login to Owner) to read up. I have bought three Lexus vehicles and still not a member there! I would tell you I still drive my first Lexus... a '98 LS400 which I bought new and without a Navigation system. My wife drives our RX400h which does have a Navigation system. I will say I am extremely pleased with having purchased (on a special) for under $300 a Magellan Maestro 4350 for use in my '98 Lexus. I am ecstatic with this little box and I recommend anyone interested in a good price performer navigator to check it out! To pay $300 for a DVD for our navigation system it pretty extreme in consideration of what you get!

Billy, I was wondering why I had to go to another site (Login to Owner) to read up. I have bought three Lexus vehicles and still not a member there! I would tell you I still drive my first Lexus... a '98 LS400 which I bought new and without a Navigation system. My wife drives our RX400h which does have a Navigation system. I will say I am extremely pleased with having purchased (on a special) for under $300 a Magellan Maestro 4350 for use in my '98 Lexus. I am ecstatic with this little box and I recommend anyone interested in a good price performer navigator to check it out! To pay $300 for a DVD for our navigation system it pretty extreme in consideration of what you get!

Roland,

I am with you...the Lexus Nav system is certainly love/hate. I find the Lexus touchscreen nav to be beautiful and intuitive, but at the same time, an annoying PITA because of the lockout. I think people keep hoping that eventually Lexus will unlock our nav and all will be right with the world.

When I lived in LA, I didn't need to update our Navigation because the roads were stable and had been there for years. When we moved to Utah, there were many new subdivisions and roads and they had even renumbered the exit numbers on I15...we needed an update, but I didn't want to spend $300 and hope that my issues were addressed...I wanted to know before I dropped the cash. This info will help you decide if you are in the same position as I was.

The reason I posted a link instead of posting the raw info is that:

1. The file is in PDF and is multiple pages based on State. It would be a huge post.

2. When Lexus updates their junk, this post will not be obsolete...the location info will be valid and reflect the new info automatically.

3. The link to the flash or java based map interface that lets you actually see what is on the map database also may change over time.

Also, I assumed everyone would have a Lexus.com owner account. There are actually fantastic resources there. They have all your service records, the ability to read the owners manual online, and even the ability to order a free replacement owners manual and schedule service. Utility is unusual for a owners website, but the Lexus one is pretty awesome. I think you are missing out if you aren't an Owner at Lexus.com.

Regards,

~Brian

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried to register my 04 LS430 on Lexus owner website and got this error message "Incoming VIN is not a valid TMS VIN. The VIN must be in CCDB. Please enter a valid TMS VIN. We're sorry, your request cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later."

Does anyone know what wrong with it? Thanks in advance.

Billy,

Thanks for a quick response. I got my VIN correct because it has shown my Lexus year, model, and color correctly. But when it comes to the email, phone communication option and it got stuck with the error message above. Maybe, I will try it later today and see what will happen.

And no, I don't have a salvage title.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow, thanks for that info. I have been on the fence on upgrading to 8.1 since I didn't know what was updated, but this should make the decision easy.

Hi Step,

You may have already found out the hard way, but if you jump all the way up to 8.1 you'll no longer be able to acccess the MFD's built in over-rides, that let you program NAV destinations on the fly. Sorry I took months to notice the post. I see by your avatar your 400h is 2006 so you DO have the over-ride MFD capability. Navtec's Version 6 is as high as the over-ride screen goes, and even those can be a bit tricky. Unfortunately Lexus' pdf won't make you privy to the fine little details like that ... only that you'll now have the latest & greates map updates ... and if your area isn't new & ever changing, the 8.1 can be an un-needed expense.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the instructions below, but the site you are describing doesn't seem to match what comes up on my screen.

I can get as far as "Manage Vehicles" but then there is nothing at all that says "Navigation Map Feedback."

All I can do at that point is Add a Driver or a vehicle or make a vehicle my Primary Vehicle, change my Profile or get information about a car I intend to buy in the future. There is nothing at all about the Nav system, nor even info about my vehicle except teling me the Model # and COlor.

Yes - I AM logged in.

I HATE the Nav system in this 09 350. I find it easier to use my iPhone. Hoping an upgrade might mae it more User Friendly, but I am doubting it.

Nav system had not been all that critical to me BEFORE I bought this car after having an Acura. But this system is such a PITA that it makes me sorry I purchased this car, despite the car itself being fine.

Did they change the site since you posted this?

How do I find what 8.1 will do, and how do I upgrade?

Thanks

1. Go to Lexus.com

Here is the cool part!

~Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I do not see this link "Navigation Map Feedback".

Could you confirm , is link still there and I missing something

Thanks

1. Go to Lexus.com

Here is the cool part!

~Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

1st post. Feel the powa!

I too am trying to find the "Navigation Map Feedback" link after registering and logging on to www.lexus.com, which went successfully, it found my car and everything (2003 SC430). Well, the wife's car.

The original GPS database doesn't have a lot of these wild new Houston 'hoods in them, and I'd like to find out if the newer ones do for obvious reasons.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

[i too am trying to find the "Navigation Map Feedback" link after registering and logging on to www.lexus.com

I also can't find the Navigation Map Feedback link but I'm also experiencing difficulty with the Override. I have an RX330 (2004, 6.1 version Gen 2/3) and when I go to the Volume screen, I don't have the little horn blowing icon in the upper left of the screen. Touching the top and bottom left of the screen failed to get me into the override screen. I didn't buy the vehicle new, so maybe the previous owner installed an update that changed something??? Any suggestions?

• 2 years later...