I'm Thinking Of Eliminating The Cd Changer

TXSC3

This is all for a 98 SC300 with Pioneer sound.

The 12 disc changer skipped excessively but last week it started to jam up. It would eject the magazine but I would have 1 CD stuck in the player. I closed the player and pushed eject to get it to spit out.

Now the magazine is stuck in the changer and it just makes clicking snapping noise while the eject button flashes. I have read previous posts about how these changers are best replaced by the 6 disc ES units. Well, since CDs are now a 20+ year old technology I have decided to go to MP3 player in the car.

The cassette adapter I used by Sony was a total failure cause the wheels do not spin in sync of e/o so the radio thinks the tape is jammed or broken.

I plan on sending my head unit out to a radio shop in VA for them to add a 3.5mm jack but do it in the back of the radio so I can run a wire through the console and have it come out in the arm rest storage so everything looks nice and clean.

I need to retreive my CDs from the changer. Where exactly is the reset button? If I can't get Diana Krall, Frank Sinatra, Cathy Dennis, & Gloria Estefan out of there I will have to do some surgery on this unit. Is there anywhere on the internet a how to guide to remove the changer from the car? I need step by step instructions.

This LS radio on ebay has what I want to do but instead of the port being on the face of the radio I want it on the chasis. The shop in VA wants $90 to do this; much cheaper than a used changer or having to burn CDs when you consider an Apple ipod suffle is under $50 so it is cheap enough to lose or break plus it NEVER skips.

http://tinyurl.com/6hvgpg

Fyi...

I've been using a Phillips and "Radio Shack" brand of cassette adapter for years now.

Some brands just don't work, (like your Sony I guess).

Others have both track wheels connected so the tape unit "thinks" there is actual tape moving.

You could save yourself some bucks by just trying a couple other brands of adapters.

My .02

TXSC3, This link will assist with removing the Cd changer. I would try to reset the unit, by disconnecting the battery cable. An easy fix with your Cd's getting jammed. Scuffing the edges of the Cd with a nail file and clean the rollers with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremoval...SC300CDCgrR.htm

OK, I got it to relase the magazine and got my CDs back. If you open the lid there is a reset button than can be pressed on the inside wall on the changer (side near the RH tail lamp). Close the lid and about 20 seconds later the magazine is free.

I'll pull the changer from the car when I have some time to open it up and clean the rollers.

However, I still plan on doing the 3.5mm jack. The plan is to have a healthy changer in the trunk that ends up never being used.

I found a 94 SC300 in the junkyard today. It has Pioneer sound and they wanted only $25 for the CD changer. I want to know if this is the same one as in my 98 with Pioneer sound. If it is I think a $25 changer is a steal just to have as a backup. I will buy the amps as well and maybe part of the exhaust cause I think my right hand side pipe has a distortion somewhere.

GRRRRRR...I wish I saw this car before some (#U)@*)*#!! *@$^ took a hammer to the radio and HVAC controls to break them just for the hell of it.