Ect Snow Button?

I use the snow mode on my LS mainly at slow speeds when the road conditions are extreme and especially when ascending steep hills on city streets. I have found it to be the most useful when a street is covered mainly with ice.

Maybe it's different on the IS, but on my LS snow mode makes the transmission to start in 3rd gear (at least, I think it is 3rd gear), keeps the car in each gear longer, and restricts the operation of the throttle. At least that is my perception of how it works.

Use of the snow mode setting isn't mandatory. If you have good snow tires, you might not need it very often. I use snow mode only when I really need it and turn it off as soon as possible so that the transmission shifts normally.

On my LX470 it has the snow button and in the manual it states the truck will start off in 2nd gear as to not place so much torque on the wheels causeing a spin on snow or ice. That is pretty much all it is used for. I would assume it would be the same for all Lexus models. But with all the VDIM and traction control and such...you should probably never need it unless you like to drive with your foot on the pedal as far as it will go. But we got 6 inches of snow here for the first time in 30 years and I went driving around in the LX, trying to see if I could get it to loose traction and it never did...and I did not use the snow button. It is AWD like your IS250. But it's alot heavier so who knows. Try it out one time!

• 2 weeks later...