Rx300 Won't Start At Times

bowtie3

My wife's 2000 Rx300 refused to start the other day. It cranks over, but the engine fails to run. I had it hauled home on a roll-back, and put a new battery in it since the current one was about 5 years old. After installing the new battery it still refused to run. I called the tow company again to haul it to the dealer. When I told the tow-truck driver what was wrong he asked for the key, got in the car and it cranked right up and ran. He said it had something to do with the anti-theft system. Tonight it did the same thing, only she had to leave it at work. It cranks over but won't start. Is it really the anti-theft system, the master key, or what? Has anyone got an idea what the heck is going on with this car? I sure could use some ideas. Thanks.

My girlfriends 99' RX300 has been doing similar things. Every once in a while, it just doesn't want to start, and after a couple of cranks it will eventually start up...I'm confused as well, because the car has been meticulously maintained

check here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-foru...t-at-times.html

My girlfriends 99' RX300 has been doing similar things. Every once in a while, it just doesn't want to start, and after a couple of cranks it will eventually start up...I'm confused as well, because the car has been meticulously maintained

check here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx300-foru...t-at-times.html

Had the 2000 RX300 hauled to the Lexus dealer Saturday. Today I get a call from a dealer service rep. Tells me all that is needed is a " new " master key and I can pick the car up this afternoon. Calls me back about a half-hour later and tells me that the car won't start and they're going to have to go deeper into the problem. Then he calls to tell me that the problem is the " ECU " and it isn't sending/receiving the correct signals from the key which activates the engine immobilizer. A new ECU is about $1600.00 but that the dealer will " just " charge me $800.00. I guess it's because I'm such a swell guy! Has anybody had replace the ECU in their RX before 70,000 miles?