Swaybar Bolts Stripped, Car Slows While Coasting, Code 71

newlexman

Hello Guys,

I have a 1991 ls400 with about 162000 on it and I need to get to the bottom of a couple of things. 3 things actually:

First, my car seems to have no alignment on the highway. My friend worked on my car and while he was under there he told me that my sway bar bolts were just hanging and he would screw them in . He told me later that he tried to tighten but they had nothing to tighten to. What can be done to get them tight again.

Next, my car seems to slow a lot as if i have the overdrive on when i coast at speeds around 60 or more on the highway.If I step on the gas it picks back up fine but if i coast, it slows like i was slightly breaking. I know for sure the overdrive button is not pressed in. I had the trans fluid changed to synthetic about 8 months ago. Gears change fine otherwise. What else could this be.....?

Last , i get a lot of fumes in my car most days and few with out. I have a code 71 right now as well when i check the codes. I have reset it and it came back on in an hour of driving. No noise besides maybe a light flutter on accel and i dont see any performance being effected. Just lots of rich fuel fumes and the light. I need to figure out how to tell myself if it is the egr pipe, or gas tempature sensor , without paying for both, or something else it could be. I took filter out of the vacuum mod and replaced with sponge material for now. Help....?

I don't think a leaking egr pipe will throw a code. Factory manual states a bad step motor will not throw a code. The gas temp sensor or the ECM will throw code . I would remove the EGR and clean it as my first step.

I

ONLY TOYOTA TYPE-IV IN THE TRANNY

and my 97 does the same "decelerating" thing. 40-70ish MPH. It's like down shifting in a manual and engine braking. the RPMs pop back up to normal when I get down to 40 MPH and 1000 RPM. But now it's EVERY time i take my foot 100% off the throttle. It's getting very annoying...

I still haven't gotten many clues to what the problem may be...

I also have a small leak in my EGR piping. Would that be causing it?

I think it happens when you change the Tranny Fluid. I had the same problem and the only thing I can think of is that the new fluid has a much thicker viscosity and protection than the old one that the fluid pressures are higher and thus you will feel the downshifting more. The same thing happened when I flushed my new Mazda MPV van after 39,000 miles at the dealer. The car would slow down after I let off the gas - almost like the engine would drag - but I'm pretty sure its the new transmission fluid.

Anyone else have this experience after flushing out the old with the new tranny fluid?

Thanks,

TEAMER

ONLY TOYOTA TYPE-IV IN THE TRANNY

and my 97 does the same "decelerating" thing. 40-70ish MPH. It's like down shifting in a manual and engine braking. the RPMs pop back up to normal when I get down to 40 MPH and 1000 RPM. But now it's EVERY time i take my foot 100% off the throttle. It's getting very annoying...

I still haven't gotten many clues to what the problem may be...

I also have a small leak in my EGR piping. Would that be causing it?

CEL code 71 is for the EGR pipe and it is only available on cali vehicles. the name is EGR system malfunction. 1st you wanna check for air leakage around the EGR valve on the engine. 2) then check the EGR vacuum modulator. 3) check VSV with cold engine. then check EGR and VSV with warm engine. 4) check EGR valve. 5) check VSV for EGR. 6) check voltage between terminal EGR of engine and ECT ECU connector and body ground. ask for more details. the other steps require checking voltage on the Engine and ECT ECU if those above steps dont work then ask and i'll give you details on the rest or if you want i can send you the repair article but it's too big to post on here.

I did have my fluid changed a while ago.

And it seemed to progressively get worse after that... I think the shop used some chevron tranny fluid though.

I'm going to have it re-done at the local dealership soon.

CEL code 71 is for the EGR pipe and it is only available on cali vehicles. the name is EGR system malfunction. 1st you wanna check for air leakage around the EGR valve on the engine. 2) then check the EGR vacuum modulator. 3) check VSV with cold engine. then check EGR and VSV with warm engine. 4) check EGR valve. 5) check VSV for EGR. 6) check voltage between terminal EGR of engine and ECT ECU connector and body ground. ask for more details. the other steps require checking voltage on the Engine and ECT ECU if those above steps dont work then ask and i'll give you details on the rest or if you want i can send you the repair article but it's too big to post on here.

I would apprecaiate that. Please send to arthurcarbonpro@gmail.com. Also does the fumes come from this issue or has anyone else had a code 71 with no fumes.