Oil Pan Bolts Stripped

mikjr

I have a 2004 RX 330 with 88,000 miles.

I took it in yesterday to have the 85,000 mile service done on it. I got a call today from the service associate stating that the bolts on the oil pan were stripped and the whole pan would need to be replaced at a cost of $650.00!!

WOW... $650.00... I told him... with only 2 weeks before Christmas... it was not going to get done!

My question is... since the vehicle has only been serviced by this Lexus dealership, I am wonder HOW and WHY these pan bolts were stripped??

I've never heard of such a thing... and my feeling is... if they are stripped, how do I know LEXUS didn't strip them? Did they use too much torque in tightening? Did they put them in wrong?

It's had for me to believe they would just get stripped after a few oil changes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue??

I took it in yesterday to have the 85,000 mile service done on it. I got a call today from the service associate stating that the bolts on the oil pan were stripped and the whole pan would need to be replaced at a cost of $650.00!!

WOW... $650.00... I told him... with only 2 weeks before Christmas... it was not going to get done!

My question is... since the vehicle has only been serviced by this Lexus dealership, I am wonder HOW and WHY these pan bolts were stripped??

I've never heard of such a thing... and my feeling is... if they are stripped, how do I know LEXUS didn't strip them? Did they use too much torque in tightening? Did they put them in wrong?

It's had for me to believe they would just get stripped after a few oil changes.

I had a friend have the same thing happen at a Toyota dealer. However, he always has the oil changed at the dealer under a "lifetime oil change" contract with a sludge prone engine. The dealership replaced the oil pan without charge.

If you can prove the 80K oil change, or all of the oil changes as you state, were done at the dealership then you have a strong case. Put the receipt(s) in their face and tell them to "read this". If it was stripped well before then it should have been noticed at the 80K change.

There are other, less expensive, methods of fixing a stripped plug other than replacing the whole pan if things go sour with the dealership. First contact Lexus customer service if you have sufficient records. Then ask an independent mechanic what he/she might be able to do short of replacing the oil pan.

mikjr-You say the oil pan bolts were stripped. Do you mean the drain bolt or the bolts that hold the lower pan to the upper? I assume you meant the drain plug (singular). If that is the case and you don't get satisfaction from the dealer (the one who is responsible if they have been changing the oil), they do make oversized plugs for that very purpose. And they only cost a few dollars.

mikjr-You say the oil pan bolts were stripped. Do you mean the drain bolt or the bolts that hold the lower pan to the upper? I assume you meant the drain plug (singular). If that is the case and you don't get satisfaction from the dealer (the one who is responsible if they have been changing the oil), they do make oversized plugs for that very purpose. And they only cost a few dollars.

I re-read the invoice... it says the "drain plug", and said they need to replace the pan at a cost of $638!! As I said earlier, this dealer is the ONLY one to touch the car! I've had it serviced about every 5k to 7k miles. I've had many cars in my 40+ years of driving and have never had a drain plug strip, not even on American cars.

I don't know if the dealers are that hard up for cash, that they have to start making stuff up!!

The dealership should have all of your service records in their computer since every service was done there. You have a slam-dunk case for them to replace the oil pan at no charge to you. Have a nice discussion with the service manager and then ask for the contact information for Lexus Customer Service if the dealer won't replace the pan. Sometimes dealerships don't like to deal with their own Lexus quality overseers and will fix the problem without further hassle.

Don't pay for the replacement out-of-pocket since it is much harder to get reimbursement than to have the dealer absorb the cost without your involvement.

If it REALLY goes poorly, Small Claims Court is an option.

The dealership should have all of your service records in their computer since every service was done there. You have a slam-dunk case for them to replace the oil pan at no charge to you. Have a nice discussion with the service manager and then ask for the contact information for Lexus Customer Service if the dealer won't replace the pan. Sometimes dealerships don't like to deal with their own Lexus quality overseers and will fix the problem without further hassle.

Don't pay for the replacement out-of-pocket since it is much harder to get reimbursement than to have the dealer absorb the cost without your involvement.

If it REALLY goes poorly, Small Claims Court is an option.

If your talking about the drain plug and they won't pay. get, a a cheap expanding champagne rubber cork (with a llittle lever on it to expand it in a bottle) and use it. I had a Porsche I put1 100k on with the cork. no problem.

Regards, PK

I re-read the invoice... it says the "drain plug", and said they need to replace the pan at a cost of $638!! As I said earlier, this dealer is the ONLY one to touch the car! I've had it serviced about every 5k to 7k miles. I've had many cars in my 40+ years of driving and have never had a drain plug strip, not even on American cars.

I don't know if the dealers are that hard up for cash, that they have to start making stuff up!!

mikjr- I second the post below your post by GDixon. There is NO WAY you should be paying for this! Way to many dealers and independents tighten plugs too tight and eventually strip the plug. This is precisely why I have changed my own oil my whole life- and have never had a stripped plug! I would not accept anything less than them taking the responsibility that is theirs.

... have a nice discussion with the service manager and then ask for the contact information for Lexus Customer Service if the dealer won't replace the pan.

X2

This is a conversation you need to have in person. Stand in front of the service manager with your documentation in hand showing that they do all the work on your ride. Ask him to pull up the service records for the car and then ask him why you should be responsible for this. If he doesn't immediately see that you are in the right, do like GDixon says and ask to speak to the General Manager and ask for the Corporate Customer Service number.

Calm persistence will get you a new oil pan "on the house". Do not let them "fix" the drain after they stated that the pan needed replacement.

~Brian