Defrost Issues -lexus 99 Rx300

Lex9d9

I've been given a 1999 Lex Rx300. Lately I've been having issues with the defrost buttons. I press both buttons that are on the panel is this correct?

Should I only be pressing only one? I am so confused. :blink:<_< The orginial owner is not around to ask. :rolleyes:

There is one button that shows a picutre of a window with heat written next to the window, and there is another button that shows 2 windows. These are the 2 buttons I've been pressing. I do not feel any air/heat coming from the vents under the window in the front and front window just fogs up more helpppppppppppp!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

I've been given a 1999 Lex Rx300. Lately I've been having issues with the defrost buttons. I press both buttons that are on the panel is this correct?

Should I only be pressing only one? I am so confused. :blink:<_< The orginial owner is not around to ask. :rolleyes:

There is one button that shows a picutre of a window with heat written next to the window, and there is another button that shows 2 windows. These are the 2 buttons I've been pressing. I do not feel any air/heat coming from the vents under the window in the front and front window just fogs up more helpppppppppppp!

As indicated, one button defrosts the rear window (electric, through the wires you see on the glass), and one button does the front window. The front button automatically turns on the A/C (which helps a lot in defogging, but not with defrosting). You should press the A/C button to extinguish the light indicating it is 'on', after pressing the front window defog button. Lexus recommends turning the temp. to 'high' to get better/quicker defrosting of the front window.

I'm in Miami, and the car and manual are in Michigan, or I would have scanned the page that explains it. I am sure you will resolve this before January.... if not, let me know and I'll scan the pag ein the manual and send it ot you next time I'm in Michigan.

Good luck

Paul

This is a common problem with the Rx300's, in the colder climates fogging is an everyday problem...

I keep the setting to "window defrost+feet" and temp setting at 73, outside air. This keeps the moisture inside the car the same as the outside, while still keeping you nice and warm.

As indicated, one button defrosts the rear window (electric, through the wires you see on the glass), and one button does the front window. The front button automatically turns on the A/C (which helps a lot in defogging, but not with defrosting). You should press the A/C button to extinguish the light indicating it is 'on', after pressing the front window defog button. Lexus recommends turning the temp. to 'high' to get better/quicker defrosting of the front window.

I'm in Miami, and the car and manual are in Michigan, or I would have scanned the page that explains it. I am sure you will resolve this before January.... if not, let me know and I'll scan the pag ein the manual and send it ot you next time I'm in Michigan.

Good luck

Paul

It's pretty intuitive once you understand the few controls Lexus provided. I think they tried too hard to make it uncomplicated.

You may or may not need them at the same time.

The button with the two small icons is for the electic defrosters in the rear hatch window & side the mirrors, linked together from one switch. You won't feel any air blowing when you pick this switch, but the side mirrors and rear window should clear quickly.

There is a separate button to select fan-forced air to blow on the windshield from the climate control, and you can select an appropriate warm temperature depending on the temperature outside. The A/C compressor defaults to the on setting in sort of a "dummy" mode. Unless you absolutely have to quickly dehumidify for only a short cool trip or you're in a warm, humid climate for any duration, it's best to de-select the A/C compressor (the blue A/C light will go dark).