1996 Rear Lights.

kenmac

The rear lights on the UK model lets be honest are crap when lit all you have are the single bulbs down low at each corner (see pic,sorry about quality) and I would like to up grade them and I what I would like to know is what does the US version lights look like when on.

003.jpg

Here's a photo of my 2000 LS400 with the rear lights on -- shortly after someone rear-ended me and caused a little damage. The rear lights on a 1995-97 US spec LS400 are very similar. All the tail light bulbs are dual filament and also function as brake lights.

Personally, I prefer the rear light configuration used in the U.K. and Europe -- better contrast when the brake is applied. I thought about converting the taillights to work similar to the German-spec but don't know if I could keep the bulb-out warning sensor working. I've always thought the US spec LS400 rear end looks like a Christmas tree -- way too bright.

U.S. LS400s don't have rear fog lights in the inner lens by the number plate. There is a plastic cover over where the fog light bulb would be inserted and the there is no rear fog light setting on the stalk on the steering wheel column.

post-2157-1229099769_thumb.jpg

Personally, I prefer the rear light configuration used in the U.K. and Europe -- better contrast when the brake is applied. I thought about converting the taillights to work similar to the German-spec but don't know if I could keep the bulb-out warning sensor working. I've always thought the US spec LS400 rear end looks like a Christmas tree -- way too bright.

See now I think your spec lights look far better than mine as I think the UK spec look as if most of your bulbs have gone,so really then I would only have to change the ones in the rear quarter panel with some US spec lenses and part of the loom because as you lot have said I might run in to some problems with the fog lights in the trunk.

Thanks for the help with this and I'll be back to this after the holidays so might call on you lot for some more advice.

Have a good Christmas

See now I think your spec lights look far better than mine as I think the UK spec look as if most of your bulbs have gone,so really then I would only have to change the ones in the rear quarter panel with some US spec lenses and part of the loom because as you lot have said I might run in to some problems with the fog lights in the trunk.

Thanks for the help with this and I'll be back to this after the holidays so might call on you lot for some more advice.

Have a good Christmas

I may be mistaken but I thought I read some place that the U.K. spec LS400 has dual filament bulbs for both brake and tail lights even though only one filament of a bulb is sometimes used. If so, could the socket for the brake light bulb in the outer lamp housing be wired up so that the unused filament is used for the tail light?

I think I remember some threads on the U.K. part of this forum about re-wiring the rear lights -- it may have been about RHD Celsiors imported into the U.K.