Which Speedo Fix Is Best For 93 Ls400?

johmah

Hi all,

I have the common 93 LS400 problem of the speedometer (and tachometer) taking half a hour to work unless the car has been left in the sun for hours. It seems there are three inexpensive fixes proposed on the forum that I'm aware of:

(1) Send it to Mr Whizard (he has good reports but I live in Australia so it may take too long)

(2) Insert a pin in the back of the dial so the speedo can't return to zero

(3) Remove lube on the limit stop-arm (detailed advice is posted on the forum, but I haven't seen confirmations that it works).

Is there a definitive answer on whether (2) and (3) work? Any advice or links is appreciated.

Thanx,

johmah

I've not hears of #'s 2&3. I bought a used cluster that the prior owner had rebuilt. That was 2 years ago. Mine always works but sometimes the tach and more often the speedo will take a while to pop up. The speedo I usually have to get above 50 mph for it to work.

So I am not sure the money is worth it as this may not be a long term fix. Also my gas guage had stopped working ( another issue in cold weather ) but my friend that sold me his cluster had addressed this.