1993 Es300 Keyless Entry And Security Questions

FoosH

Hey All,

I just picked up a '93 ES300 for the wife last weekend. It's got over 200K on it, but seems to run very strong.

I've been lurking around this forum this week, and have found a lot of good info:

My free owner's manual (absent from the car) is en route from a local dealer.

I "baked" my headlights to clear up the projectors and their diffused light...and got rid of the orange reflector.

I finally found a place (www.trademotion.com) that might have the inside door handle I need.

I do have 2 questions that I can't find answers for:

A) This car was sold without key fob or buttons on key...but there's a switch on the dash for keyless entry...I need cheapest alternative. I haven't stuck a key in a door for about 20 years.

B) Do I need the above key fob to activate the factory alarm? I see hints that the car has it, but I wouldn't know how to set it...or disarm it.

Oh yeah! Factory Service Manual links seem to be dead. Must I go out and by a Chilton's now?

Thanks,

~FoosH

You need to program the transponder key... that is a key with a chip inside it.

I had the same problem.

I went on ebay and bought a used lexus key ... replaced the metal key from the one i bought on ebay... make sure you get the right FCC ID code.... the ebay posting will tell you. i went online and found how to program the key... it was easy. It took 5 minutes to program... Also some dealerships do it for free.

Also go on youtube and search es300 and es300 programming...

Do let me know how it goes!

Also, you should check your Thermostat and just replace it. Get a good coolant for the car.

You need to program the transponder key... that is a key with a chip inside it.

I had the same problem.

I went on ebay and bought a used lexus key ... replaced the metal key from the one i bought on ebay... make sure you get the right FCC ID code.... the ebay posting will tell you. i went online and found how to program the key... it was easy. It took 5 minutes to program... Also some dealerships do it for free.

Also go on youtube and search es300 and es300 programming...

Do let me know how it goes!

Also, you should check your Thermostat and just replace it. Get a good coolant for the car.

So...

if I understand you, I can get this EBay used key and it will work after reprogramming?

Or does it still need cut?

Are newer key fobs out of the question for my '93?

I don't know where to check the FCC ID#.

Thanks for the thermostat tip. That's next after I flush the transmission.

~FoosH

BTW I just found out that this car is PINK! I bought it because it looked gray...and would go with my silver Indian Chief and pewter Saab 9-5 in the garage.

According to Lexus sight, it's "Shadow Quartz Rose", or something. The more I wax it, the more fem it looks.

On the early cars such as yours, the key fob is not user programable. The key fob has a FCC ID# written on the key, and there is a matching chip installed in the keyless entry module. Your problem will be that since you do not have a original key, you do not have the FCC #. Do not bother wasting your time with the programming procedure, that is for the newer cars, starting in I believe 95, take my word on that, I tried it on my 92.

One thing that you can try is pulling the keyless entry module ( located in the left hand side of the trunk, near the hinge assembly). There is a chip installed, under a inspection cover, that determines what the FCC # is.

Correct. Keys could not be programmed to the cars until the 1994 model year. Prior to then, once the keys are gone, more cannot be programmed. If all keys have been lost, you will have to purchase 2 new keys that come with a ROM chip that they are paired with. The total cost is about $275.

Another alternative is Mikado Technologies' Lexus keyless kit. (www.sammywu.com). You will need to purchase the remote receiver and at least one key. The keys are just like the ones used on the newer Lexus models, such as the 2000 ES. The replacement receiver takes about 10 minutes to install. With this kit, you can program up to 6 keys. The remote receiver costs $35 and the keys are $50 each.

post-48798-1229177521_thumb.jpg