Can Someone Tell Me How To Do This?

Here is a web page that has a pretty good summary about drifting: http://www.wikihow.com/Drift-a-Car

I don't do this type of stuff anymore, but my favorite drift method was the "hand brake turn" -- especially easy to do on snow covered roads.

IMO, drifting is easier and safer to do in RWD cars with fairly narrow tires. Cars with wide sticky tires can generate huge cornering forces causing the "breakaway" to be very abrupt and difficult to control. It doesn't take a powerful engine to drift a car. The easiest, most controllable car to drift I've owned was a low powered 1956 4-cylinder Mercedes 190SL 2-seat convertible.

If you want to practice drifting and don't mind trashing your tires, find a large flat empty parking lot (with no light standards!), turn off your VSC and drive in a tight circle. Better yet, wait for a rainy/snowy day so that tire breakaway comes early and tire damage is minimized. Learn to steer by "feathering" the throttle. With VSC on, this is also a good way to understand how far you can go before VSC kicks in.

It seems kind of funny that drifting has become an end in itself. When I started taking part in amateur sports car events in the 1960s, drifting was just one of many racing techniques taught and discussed in the local sports car club.

Drifting a car on public streets can be extremely dangerous. I occasionally did it many years ago and only when there was zero traffic -- until that night in the 1970s when I lost control on Meyer Circle in Kansas City and barely missed hitting the stone wall where so many people have died.

My opinion, and mine only. Drifting is like certain types of music. Perhaps there is a display of some sort of talent, perhaps skill is involved, perhaps it's entertaining. I just don't quite get it. I could drift in the snow in my 1970 bug. It was awesome. I could control it perfectly. Then it just lost its attraction. It's really not that hard to do.

Instead of drifting, if you want to see some driving skills, check this guy out...

Just a tad more exciting, in my opinion. And safer. It's on a CLOSED course.

Whatever you do, drive sanely please.

My opinion, and mine only. Drifting is like certain types of music. Perhaps there is a display of some sort of talent, perhaps skill is involved, perhaps it's entertaining. I just don't quite get it. I could drift in the snow in my 1970 bug. It was awesome. I could control it perfectly. Then it just lost its attraction. It's really not that hard to do.

Instead of drifting, if you want to see some driving skills, check this guy out...

Very nice! Now that's some driving! Love the shift lock drift turn and the clutch kick drift he stomps on going into the blocks. What he is doing in that video is what I think drift competitions will eventually turn into, mixed with time attacks. Nice vid find!

That's a waste of some perfectly good rubber there, but it's kinda cool, I have to admit. And OMG, that Segway stuntman, geeeeez!!!!

:o

That video sure brougth back memories, I would drift into turns and frequently hit cones and tire piles, loose points and usually not win anything after doing a little course for 2 or 3 minutes and I would even forget to breath That was the real fun after that I was noit interested in racing another idiot like me on the streets.

If you are really into it, check out your regional SCCA. They organize Solo Racing events and more serious events you can advance to where you can apply this kind of skills. Check out an event and you'll be hooked.

Drfiting in itself is just wasting rubber just like shooting arrows without a target to aim them to, useless.

http://www.scca.com/home.aspx