Lying Mechanic?

motoroil

'93 ES300

My mechanic is telling me I need a main relay--and there is an empty spot for it in a fusebox. But in the owners manual it shows no main relay in that spot. The owners manual shows that spot stays unused. Its the fusebox in the engine bay, drivers side edge of the engine bay. There are two fuse boxes there, its the fusebox closer to the headlight--the bigger of the two fuseboxes.

Does anyone else have a relay in the "main relay" spot? You'll see the words "main relay" by the spot in raised letters on the plastic.

There is a relay Relay name MAIN EFI RELAY, which supplies power to the ecm. Going by your previous posts, it appears that you are having issues after changing your valve cover gaskets. Is the car not starting now? Does it turn over? Do you have spark? If the car stopped running after changing the VCG, I would recommend checking all connectors first. If you suspect that you mechainc is "Lying to you" than I would recomend finding another one that you trust.

Thanks for the replies--they really help.

Its done! He did lie about the main relay. I checked with the dealer and the dealer told me that relay spot is supposed to be empty. Checked my EFI relay--its good.

Did more diagnotics--turned out my MAF had gone bad. I didn't know MAFs could impact starting--I thought they could only impact how it ran--you know, it would start, but run rough. Put a used MAF in there--now it runs great. Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the replies--they really help.

Its done! He did lie about the main relay. I checked with the dealer and the dealer told me that relay spot is supposed to be empty. Checked my EFI relay--its good.

Did more diagnotics--turned out my MAF had gone bad. I didn't know MAFs could impact starting--I thought they could only impact how it ran--you know, it would start, but run rough. Put a used MAF in there--now it runs great. Thanks!!!!

You should report that mechanic to the BBB so maybe he'll think twice about ripping people off...

Motoroil has hit on security measure that works well as an engine disabler. I've used this method for years whenever I've been forced to park my car where I would be concerned about car thieves, long term airport parking, hotel parking lots, etc. Pop the hood and disconnect the connector to the Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) and simply just put the wiring harness connector back in place without pushing it it into its fully locked position, so that none of the internal metal pins touch. If thieves try to hotwire or jump the ignition, the engine will just crank forever until the battery dies, but will never start. This works on any car with electronic fuel injection. Obviously if thieves want the car badly enough, they could just tow it.