98 Ls Premium Sound - "cutting In And Out"? Help!

98 LS

I hope this is simple for some one who has had this happen already?

The audio on the sound system (98 LS -LEXUS Premium Sound) just started cutting in and out today!! It cycles on and off at about a one second interval. As it recovers, it sounds like the rear speakers resume playing a split second before the fronts kick back in. The sub almost sounds unaffected but even that is hard to tell because the other speakers are cutting in and out. It does this on all sources - AM,FM,CD.

Sometimes it is stable for 20 seconds or so working normally and then starts the "cutting in and out" routine again. Pressing the ASL (Automatic Sound Level) button makes it worse.

Is it possible that I have smoked some capacitors in the amp? I do listen at a moderate volume but never to point of "clipping" or distortion.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am handy with a soldering iron and could replace "caps" if that is what it turns out to be. How do I tell what component is failing?

Any leads or web pages to go look at or options for repair?

Thanks in advance ......

do you have a spare head unit or amp available? that would make things easier since you will not have to test anything. if you dont then you have to do some testing. do you hear hissing from the speaker when you put your ear close to it? if you do it means that ur amp is ok and the problem is in the headunit. to make sure check all the outputs from the headunit and during the cutout and see if they match with the normal ones. let me know about the result.i'm not sure when i will be able to reply since i travel by car in europe but i definetly will during next week.

HapPy New YEar!!!

VMF ........

Thanks so much for responding with a suggestion or two. It restores my faith in humanity ........... and all the way from Europe too!!

As it turns out ......... the solution was so simple and really kinda "Duh" or "Dooooh"!!

Here goes ....... my 2 year old was playing in "The Ride" a couple of evenings ago while I was jamming to some Nelly (Nellyville) and she turned on several interior lights. The car was parked and not running.

The following day I went back to the garage to "Jam" for a few minutes and noticed the dome lights were still on and turned them off and proceeded to listen to several selections. After about ten minutes the sound system started to "stumble" and eventually “drop out” repeatedly which sounds like a failing amp ....... it was!!!! Because the battery was dead!!!

Charged it up and the problem is solved.

Imagine that! ....... Dooooh! :rolleyes: